• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New lens, new body or both? (1 Viewer)

mike_gss

VERY new birder
Hi all,

I'm pretty new to birding - started October 2014 so please be gentle! I've been taking my camera when on birding trips but it's seriously underspecced and out of date. It was bought 6-7 years ago just for "general touristy" photography.

It's a Nikon D60 (10.2MP) with a 55-200mm zoom (f4/5.6 with VR). Pretty lame given "modern" specs. I'm wondering if I can do better with a more powerful zoom or maybe a fixed-focal length lens aroud 300 or 400mm but on the same body? I don't have the budget for a completely new total setup - particularly seeing what current prices are.

Any suggestions/advice would be welcome.

Cheers,
Mike

Hi all,

I'm pretty new to birding - started October 2014 so please be gentle! I've been taking my camera when on birding trips but it's seriously underspecced and out of date. It was bought 6-7 years ago just for "general touristy" photography.

It's a Nikon D60 (10.2MP) with a 55-200mm zoom (f4/5.6 with VR). Pretty lame given "modern" specs. I'm wondering if I can do better with a more powerful zoom or maybe a fixed-focal length lens aroud 300 or 400mm but on the same body? I don't have the budget for a completely new total setup - particularly seeing what current prices are.

Any suggestions/advice would be welcome.

Cheers,
Mike

I don't know your camera or lens so can't comment with certainty.

What is holding your photographs back? Is it picture quality, reach, low light performance or all?

If you're unsure try renting or borrowing a longer and better, more modern lens.

I had a 7 year old camera and lens and replaced the camera first because I could gain the use of a lot higher usable ISO. My old camera was rubbish as ISO800, my new camera is good for 6400 and beyond so I can use it in much worse conditions.

A year since replacing the camera and it's now time to change my lens. I currently have a Sigma 50-500mm non IS and I'm looking to get a Sigma 120-300S, or a Sigma 150-600S or a Canon 400 f5.6

Mike,

I'm a Canophile, myself, but the review on DPR says it's a pretty good entry level body. If the 10 mp sensor and ISO 1600 maximum aren't pinching you, go with lenses. Look over the offerings in Nikon mount at Tamron and Sigma. Anything you get for the D60 will work equally well on any other crop sensor Nikon body, and if you're careful not to get lenses specifically designed for crop sensor on full frame bodies as well. Check out the Nikon subforum here and ask for help.

One BUT, though. If you are interested in switching to a different system, this would be the time to do it.

Will

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back