• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Interesting WW2 Navy MK45's (1 Viewer)

matgyver

So far I've come up with that these were used on subs and are completely waterproof. That info is from an eBay auction so who knows how reliable it is....

From eBay auction:
Hayward Mark 45, is one of my favorites among US WWII binoculars. This is a Navy issue used by submarine and underwater demolition crew. Because of the harsh and brutal condition it had to operate under, it was designed to be 100% water tight. The body is aluminum casting and then machined for the final finish.

Why you'd need bino's on a sub is beyond me? Well, I guess they would come in handy upon surfacing...

Anyway, I picked them up today on a whim because of the markings and the heft. I'd not want to hold them up too long, but the view is spectacular. I'd rank them up with the Swaro's I've spent little time with.

Markings:
On Left:
U.S. Navy BUSHIPS
MARK45 MOD. 0
N(WITH CIRCLE AROUND IT) 308902 1944
HAYWARD
LOS ANGELES, CALIF.

On Right:
THIS INSTRUMENT HAS
"COATED OPTICS"
CLEAN LENSES CAREFULLY
7X50

The case says:
"HOOD" with an arrow through it

Bino1.jpg

Bino2.jpg

Bino3.jpg

Bino4.jpg

Bino5.jpg

Bino6.jpg

WOW!!! According to some eBay auctions these may be worth something!
http://cgi.ebay.com/BINOCULARS-MK-4...oryZ4721QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
http://cgi.ebay.com/WWII-US-NAVY-Mi...VQQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1638Q2em118Q2el1247.

Last edited:
Why you'd need bino's on a sub is beyond me? Well, I guess they would come in handy upon surfacing...

Yep, WWII era diesel subs spent most of their time on the surface where they were vulnerable to anti-sub aircraft, having good bins to spot planes before they spotted you was very important to staying alive. Looks like you made a nice find, those bins look perfect.

They are beautiful, and the glass is amazing, but I have no use for them. I've got far too many hobbies as it is.

I'm going to look for the best outlet to sell them without having to resort to eBay.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back