• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Pagham (1 Viewer)

Frost1976

I'm planning on spending a day down at Pagham next month, in the week between Christmas and New Years.

Anyone got any tips of where, in particular, to go/look out for?

And, what about tide times, I've looked at a couple of sites which say you can pick leaflets up from the area, but considering I live in Surrey, that's not altogether helpful!

Cheers all!

Pagham is a great location; you won't be disappointed. You can check tides at this site.

http://easytide.ukho.gov.uk/EASYTIDE/EasyTide/Support/About.aspx

The SOS has a good sightings board. You could check it in the days before your trip to Pagham, click on 'Recent Sightings':

http://www.sos.org.uk/

I agree with joannec. I also use easy tide.

One point to note - the site is huge. I would however recommend the walk from the visitor centre at sidlesham Ferry to Church Norton and then onwards to the shingle bank. Also try the nearby Selsey Bill.

CB

Pagham's my local patch so I know quite well. Are there any apecies in particular you're looking for? We normally have a small Avocet flock overwintering, along with our usual Whimbrel and Spred. Selsey can be very good but is weather dependent (the rule of thumb is the worse the weather, the better the birds!!) but as has already been mentioned, check the SOS website for any local news. Nearby are the Chichester GPs (including Ivy Lake) which often has some good waterfowl - the last two winters the lake has been a roost site for a small party of Whooper Swans - and you pass it on the infamous Selsey road anyway!

Ads

Pagham's my local patch so I know quite well. Are there any apecies in particular you're looking for? We normally have a small Avocet flock overwintering, along with our usual Whimbrel and Spred. Selsey can be very good but is weather dependent (the rule of thumb is the worse the weather, the better the birds!!) but as has already been mentioned, check the SOS website for any local news. Nearby are the Chichester GPs (including Ivy Lake) which often has some good waterfowl - the last two winters the lake has been a roost site for a small party of Whooper Swans - and you pass it on the infamous Selsey road anyway!

Ads

Ah, the Selsey road. I counted 18 different changes in the speed limit between the Chichester by-pass and Selsey when I was there last month!

DiP

the pair Whoopers are back now (no young with them again this year unfortunately). Best looked for mid-late afternoon at the back of Ivy Lake (the main lake)

the pair Whoopers are back now (no young with them again this year unfortunately). Best looked for mid-late afternoon at the back of Ivy Lake (the main lake)

Good to know that BBB! Hope they stay around.............going east in the other direction tomorrow though. Hope it's not the wrong decision.

Cheers BBB et al. I've got a link to the SOS and Easy Tide websites now, so that'll keep me informed for when I go.
As for what I want to see, well, anything really! Live in a land-locked county, so waders and seabirds are always of interest.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back