• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Avon and around about - best places? (2 Viewers)

turkish van

Number 1 celebrity badger
Hi,

We'll be in Bath near the end of next month, but are fairly clueless as to what's around the area. Can travel for 1-2 hours if it's worth it, so into Gloucestershire, Wiltshire and north Somerset.

It's only for a few days, so any recommendations on the best places?

Thanks... :t:

Chew Valley lake is not so far, nor is a quick pop over the Severn Bridge into Gwent - plenty there, the Newport Wetland Centre amongst the highlights I would guess

Cotswold Water Park should be within striking distance, too.

Might be easier if you were to give us an idea of what you'd like to see, Laura - what's your birding 'style'?

Cheers,

Andy.

That's great, thanks for the replies.

Forest of Dean sounds good Andrew ta, I love old woodland. Even if I don't see much! But the bird list in the directory is amazing - this one's definitely on the shortlist!

Chew Valley lake is tempting too.....desperately need to brush up on the old quackers (ducks), and gulls...if I have to! Looks like there's a few of everything there, on a lucky day at least.

As for my birding 'style', other Andrew, unhelpfully I have to say pretty much anything. Oh, except seawatching (unless the reality is different from my presumption of sitting on a cliff, trying to stop your eyes watering whilst staring through a scope and stuggling with the effects of a constant sea gale). And I'm not overly keen on sitting in a hide for too long - I can deal with an hour or two, obviously if there's something to keep my attention. But I'm not one for sitting for hours waiting for a glimpse of a bittern. Much more patient in a wood or something, where I can sit for ages watching spiders if nothing else! Ideally though, I like to be up and about walking (or, more likely, meandering).

Thanks again,

Reading your reply above I reckon the entire Wye Valley would also be right up your street, cracking woodland (but would not add many additional species to the Nag's Head area) - if you were still in the area at dusk, you could go to a site for Nightjars, they're real corkers

Hi Laura,
If you want any specific information on the Forest of Dean area especially Nagshead and possible Nightjar sites, drop me a pm - I live within scoping distance of Nagshead.

Hi
Shapwick,Westhay and Catcott Lows are within easy travelling distance.
Species around at the moment include Garganey,Hobby and Yellow Wagtail.
Access to Chew is limited unless you have a permit.This also gives access to Blagdon Lakes.Details on their website
Cheddar Reservoir is also worth a look as are Sandbay Point and Brean Down.

Thanks Colin, I might just do that.

I'll check out those others later Stranger, thanks for the suggestions.

Think it's gonna be a busy few days!

Colin said:
I live within scoping distance of Nagshead.

Just out of interest, Colin: I went to Nagshead last summer, on a Saturday afternoon. The RSPB building was shut (which surprised ma a bit) and every car in the car park had been broken into. Do thieves target this place a lot, or was that a one-off? (It didn't exactly seem like a rough area.)

Adrian

abagguley said:
Just out of interest, Colin: I went to Nagshead last summer, on a Saturday afternoon. The RSPB building was shut (which surprised ma a bit) and every car in the car park had been broken into. Do thieves target this place a lot, or was that a one-off? (It didn't exactly seem like a rough area.)

Adrian

Last year, the RSPB had difficulty in getting volunteers to man the centre but this year it seems that the situation is easier. They plan to be open every Sat and Sun until the end of August - times - I cannot remember exactly but roughly 11 til 4 or 4.30. Two years ago was very good, both days every weekend and many days of the school hols.

Vandalism. Not a great problem. I have never seen any done to cars. Last year the solar panels were wrecked but that was done late at night so I understand but a metal barrier near the road has helped as the yobs don't seem to like to walk a quarter mile of rough track in the dark in their expensive trainers.

It is not a rough area. The village is amazingly quiet especially at night. Last winter I only saw people on the street twice the whole winter when walking to the pub.

Just to resurrect this old thread... I'm off to Bath next week with 3 days to fill - all of which I want to be spent watching wildlife (though admittedly one day may be sacrificed for shopping). My legs and public transport are the only options, so I'm looking for suggestions of good spots in/around Bath itself. Birds, beasties and some nice orchids if possible are my main targets. A quick search has come up with the Avon Wildlife Trust reserve Tucking Mill, which looks promising - anyone have any experience of this? Any other suggestions please?

Thanks in advance :)

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back