• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Butterflies (1 Viewer)

El Annie

Phew..............
OK it's stupid question time.....

I don't know much about butterflies although I'm sure I should really know the answer to my question if I could only remember!! We have had a small tortoiseshell attached to the kitchen wall for quite a while - yesterday it woke up, spent the day fluttering around the office and generally wearing itself out and getting fed up. We decided today as it was quite warm to catch it and put it outside on the basis that if it stayed indoors it would die either from exhaustion or starvation.

Q. Can anyone tell me what butterflies should be doing at this time of year and wether or not it has any cahnce of survival??

Said butterfly spent a while in my post it box have put pic in quick pix gallery!!

El Annie

:t:

thanks in anticipation :)

Peacocks, Small Tortoiseshells, Brimstones & Commas should be hibernating as adults in sheds or spare bedrooms that are cool.
In the case of Brimstones they will be hibernating under Ivy leaves.

Other Butterfly species survive as Pupae underground.

Look out for Herlad Moths as these are often found with hibernating Butterflies.

CJ

I agree with Jacob said Tortoiseshell should have stayed asleeo for a few more months. Last weekend I was in Whitby and Scarborough, the fish and chips were great for me, but nectar and warm sunlight weren't in abundant supply. I think you look too nice to do the weakest link!!

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back