• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nikon ED50 Mini Review (1 Viewer)

Hi all,

You may remember that I had asked about which first scope I should buy and had decided on going for the opticron Es80. However on thinking it over, i taught that this scope would be too bulky and heavy for me as i frequently go for long hikes, do birding abroad and as i can't drive yet (still 16) i travel by bike, bus or on foot. I don't want to end up leaving the scope at home!

After reading here and other threads about the ED50 it seems as this would be the perfect scope for me! It will be my only scope for quite a while though, so how much will i get out of raptor and seawatching with the ed50? I asume it would be better than bins only but will the improvement be worth the money?

Sorry for bothering you again but the help is much appreciated!

martin

From my own eyes, using the ED50 with 13-40x zoom eyepiece is a nice combo and it is sharp up to 40x even though field of view is a bit narrow than DS eyepiece.

I have used it on moving boat looking at Stork-billed Kingfisher started from13x slowly moved to 40x and what surprised me, there were no vibration at all even though I'm using aluminum tripod ;)

Hi There ausmar..I am also a biker /hiker birder...Nop,Dont drive either (still 41)...
..I do own an Opticron Imagic 80mm ED and also a Nikon ED50....and I think for the kind of birding you are describing,The ED50 would be really good..There are ,however ,Intermediate options,between a full size 80mm scope and the diminutive Nikon...a number of 60 and 65 mm scopes can be found for the price of the Nikon ( not really an inexpensive scope!)..I dont see much difference between a 60-65 and an 80mm in terms of brightness or resolution,but they are not much more smaller either...The Nikon ED50 is small and low power,,Way smaller than even a 65mm ( I have owned two units of the Pentax PF65ED,a great scope,by the way)and offers an alternative style of birding( closer range,high mobility)..With an 80mm scope ,30X is usual and bright,and it is possible to hit 60X ...the Nikon only gets to 30-40X ,then it gets Dim...a 65mm scope would take 15-20X with great bright views,and can be pushed to 45-50X.
...If you are going to have only one scope for a while,try a good 60mm ED,.You can get away with a fairly lightweight tripod..maybe that could be a good compromise

Last edited:
Hi all,

You may remember that I had asked about which first scope I should buy and had decided on going for the opticron Es80. However on thinking it over, i taught that this scope would be too bulky and heavy for me as i frequently go for long hikes, do birding abroad and as i can't drive yet (still 16) i travel by bike, bus or on foot. I don't want to end up leaving the scope at home!

After reading here and other threads about the ED50 it seems as this would be the perfect scope for me! It will be my only scope for quite a while though, so how much will i get out of raptor and seawatching with the ed50? I asume it would be better than bins only but will the improvement be worth the money?

martin

Hello Martin.
Just a guide,as these things can vary from person to
person. I own and use the following scopes:-

Opticron Imagic 80 ED
Pentax PF80 straight.
Pentax PF65 angled.
Opticron Piccolo 60mm (the old original type.)

I am highly delighted with the performance of all the above.
So delighted am I with them that I am planning to take them
into the next world with me when the time comes!!

Having said all that. the scope that I constantly have with me
is the ' Camlink 15-45x50.' Small light weight excellent performer
upto 30x. all for £45 - £60 (Look around for best price.).
Whatever.....Just take a look through one.

Kindest regards,
young Ian.

Thank you horukuru, mayoayo and young ian for your advice!! Very helpful!

Looked at some 60mm scopes and beginning to think that they are better than the small nikon! The Camlink looks good but i think i would need going a bit more than 30x!

Again thank you! Much Appreciated!

martin

Well i continue to be amazed and delighted w/ the performance of the midget Nikon. recently several members of our local bird club did a birding blitz of the east slope in ecuador.

our guide had apparently not seen one before; when he first saw it set up, he looked it over curiously, grinned and remarked "that thing looks like a toy!" MAN I LOOOVVEEE IT WHEN PEOPLE SAY THAT!!!

One looked at a perched red-crested cotinga at 27X sorta sobered him up. "woahhh, this looks pretty good!" he was toting a fully tricked out Swar 80HD. "how close does this thing focus?" we tried it out on some rocks in the road, slowly creeping in until the little scope that could was pointed down at an acute angle really almost at our feets, it seems... after that, once he had the swar on something, he would invariable ask to see the bird "in that pocket scope of yours..."

another convert for the mighty mite of spotters!

kind regards to all,
UTC

I just have to bump this up again Andrew. I have on loan a Nikon 50ED and am using my 20-40x eyepiece in it. I have read a lot of what I can find on this scope on here and elsewhere and should know it is a good scope. I was really surprised by how good it really is.A Giant Killer!

I just have to bump this up again Andrew. I have on loan a Nikon 50ED and am using my 20-40x eyepiece in it. I have read a lot of what I can find on this scope on here and elsewhere and should know it is a good scope. I was really surprised by how good it really is.A Giant Killer!

Hehehe same with my friend who just got his first scope and he bought the pink rose ED50 and 13-40x zoom eyepiece :king:

Hello Martin.
Just a guide,as these things can vary from person to
person. I own and use the following scopes:-

Opticron Imagic 80 ED
Pentax PF80 straight.
Pentax PF65 angled.
Opticron Piccolo 60mm (the old original type.)

I am highly delighted with the performance of all the above.
So delighted am I with them that I am planning to take them
into the next world with me when the time comes!!

Having said all that. the scope that I constantly have with me
is the ' Camlink 15-45x50.' Small light weight excellent performer
upto 30x. all for £45 - £60 (Look around for best price.).
Whatever.....Just take a look through one.

Kindest regards,
young Ian.

hi martin, is that the camlink csp 50 or the newer shorter version ?

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back