• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Which magazines (1 Viewer)

I see Bird Art & Photography has conked out, which is perhaps not surprising given the nature of the market but still sad- there was some good stuff in it.

So I think the current state of play is:

--Birds Illustrated [defunct]

--Bird Art & Photography [UK published, defunct]

--Wildlife Art [defunct]

--Wildscape [UK published, alive]

--Wildlife Art Journal [US published, alive]

That's a shame. I hope it has nothing to do with the review of a certain book that was going to run in the next issue . . . .

That's a shame. I hope it has nothing to do with the review of a certain book that was going to run in the next issue . . . .

oh dear - I think they are going to shift some of the content to Birdwatching (which of course as a sometimes hardcore birder I can't admit to reading..) so review may appear there

oh dear - I think they are going to shift some of the content to Birdwatching (which of course as a sometimes hardcore birder I can't admit to reading..) so review may appear there

Well let's hope so. It's amazing how difficult it is for publishers to stay in business. As much as I like Wildlife Art Journal here I'd really love to see a paper publication with bird art in it. Seems like that is an impossibility here and getting close to that over there.

Thats really sad to hear Ed, but how do you know that?
I'm honestly concerned since I renewed my subscription last April!
Still haven't got any notification...

Paschalis

Thats really sad to hear Ed, but how do you know that?
I'm honestly concerned since I renewed my subscription last April!
Still haven't got any notification...

Paschalis

hopefully you will be OK on this one: letter in post this week, included offer of a partial subscription refund

Really sad news. :-C
I haven´t heard anything yet but I guess there will be a notice in the mail box pretty soon – “snail” or “email”. I see in the “next issue highlights” in issue 5 that issue number 6 is (was ?) due out pretty soon, so I guess we can say goodbye to that one ? Certainly looked promising with a lot of good articles.

Torben |=(|

I have the last 2issues of Bird Art + Photography + really like them. It was hard to find though. I got both issues at the SOC HQ in Aberlady.
What do you recommend to a getting back into wildlife art person? Or is it a matter of try a few. None readily available here in the sticks which always makes that a wee bit tricky.

I answered a thread similar to this one some time go and I have to say my OH likres the Artists Magazine. He had collected them over a period of many years.

He is great at painting, and sketching and we should both get into the habit once more. :gh:

Still though magazines change in all their forms sometimes for the better - sometimes for the worst.

Regards
Karthy
x

Last edited:
Very sad news if it´s valid.
The latest issue I received is the Vol. 11 No. 4 ( Winter) and I did wonder why I haven´t received a “Spring” issue. No wonder then if publication has ceased, but if so I presume subscribers ought to have been informed by now ?

Hoping for the best,
Torben.

Very sad news if it´s valid.
The latest issue I received is the Vol. 11 No. 4 ( Winter) and I did wonder why I haven´t received a “Spring” issue. No wonder then if publication has ceased, but if so I presume subscribers ought to have been informed by now ?

Hoping for the best,
Torben.

I think my latest issue is Vol. 12 No 1 (Spring) tho' I don't have them to hand at the moment. I understand the Summer issue will be put on line as a trial. The decision has just been made within the last day or so....

Doesn't leave much in the way of Wildlife Art magazines now.... pity...

Keith.

I think my latest issue is Vol. 12 No 1 (Spring) tho' I don't have them to hand at the moment. I understand the Summer issue will be put on line as a trial. The decision has just been made within the last day or so....

Doesn't leave much in the way of Wildlife Art magazines now.... pity...

Keith.

It's similar to the fate of newspapers here. Just the other day a number in the southern US drastically cut their staff and number of print issues per week. I don't like reading news online and I really don't like looking at art online. Or I don't mind looking at it but I'd much prefer to be able to see in print. I feel like I'm seeing a very pale imitation online. Seems the way of the world but with much being lost along the way.

I don't like reading news online and I really don't like looking at art online. Or I don't mind looking at it but I'd much prefer to be able to see in print. I feel like I'm seeing a very pale imitation online. Seems the way of the world but with much being lost along the way.

I couldn´t agree more and it´s the same with e-books / books-on-line or what have you. URGH !

Keith, I will check up about my missing issue which then seems to be the last one out in print. Not long ago another UK art /wildlife magazine ceased (Bird Art & Photography I think it was), and also a US one about wildlife art.

Torben

to update the list (in memory of the fallen as it were) it seems ...

--Bird Art & Photography [UK published, defunct]

--Wildlife Art [defunct]

--Wildscape [UK published, defunct?]

--Wildlife Art Journal [US published, alive?]

Birdwatch still publishes some interesting one-off articles

well its a full-time job keeping up with this

seems BA&P is back as "our brand new annual publication"

------------------------------------

--Bird Art & Photography [UK published][annual]

--Wildlife Art [defunct]

Attachments

• DSCN2079.JPG
    DSCN2079.JPG
    116.4 KB · Views: 102
Wildlife Art Journal is published online only. I vaguely recollect/misrember something about eventually publishing a print edition but I've never seen it. Most likely I just misread or misunderstood something.

In any case it does remain alive but is only online. I do subscribe and read online but there's nothing like holding a magazine with good reproductions in your hands. I feel like it must have been something like this when people realized that handmade furniture was more or less gone for good.

well its a full-time job keeping up with this

seems BA&P is back as "our brand new annual publication"

--Bird Art & Photography [UK published][annual]

--Wildlife Art [defunct]

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back