• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

All iScoping/mobile adapter questions and queries... And hopefully some answers too (1 Viewer)

Boy Wonder

Warden - RSPB Lincolnshire Wash Reserves
I suppose seeing as I asked for this sub forum that I actually try and make it do what I hoped it would do and be a reference for all those iScopers out there. Apologies to those that have Android devices but I can't comment on adapters or anything else as I have an iPhone so please excuse reference to iScoping, appreciate there are other options. Hopefully those that do have experience will step in and offer advice.

So adapters.... as far as I know there are two main brands that are easily available in the UK. Kowa TSN-IP4S and the Meopta MEOPIX

Both come with standard adapter rings to fit their respective optics but there are additional sizes to fit your specific scope or binocular. I have the Kowa adapter wrapped up under the tree already so can't vouch for it, or the meopta case, but I'm sure both are very similar and do pretty much the same thing.

If any users feel one is better than the other or have found any flaws/benefits please share away.

Hi,

I have one made by Phonescope (https://www.phoneskope.com/store/electronic_brand_select/1) i brought back in August for the Iphone 5.

It was the only one at the time i could find to fit the Swarovsxi ATX - it has been very good and i am pleased with the results. The photographs won't win any awards but i have some good pictures for my records.

I have seen this week that Viking Optics (the makers of RSPB scopes etc) are releasing a universal adapter which looks interesting - saves buying a new adapter if and when you change your phone.

I tried the Kowa at the Bird fair in August and it was very good, however there was not an adapter ring to fit my scope at the time.

The issue i found with the Kowa was the limited range of scopes the fittings worked with.

It seems competition in the market is hotting up so should be some more 'universal' cases on the market soon.

My apologies if this is called as self promotion / advertising, but just to add to the list PhoneSkope that make a wide range of adapters for spotting scope eyepieces and have cases to fit iPhones and Android devices.

Currently adapters are available to fit eyepieces including Swarovski, Zeiss, Leica, Nikon, Vortex, Opticron and Hawke.

Phone cases currently available include iPhone 4/4s, 5/5s and Samsung Galaxy S2, S3, S4 and Note 2. HTC One, One S and One X cases are on their way in as are those for the iPhone 5c.

Details thru my signature.

Not at all Dave and thank you for letting us know. I did see PhoneSkope on my research but thought it was over the pond only so good to know we have it in the UK too. It's great that you've branched out into other mobiles. Hopefully we can get users on here with some feedback.

I had to get my Phonescope from the US, glad they are in the UK now!

Mine works great and is well made, good piece of kit and fits perfectly on my Swarovski ATX

Attachments

• IMG_0510.JPG
    IMG_0510.JPG
    213.7 KB · Views: 283
Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back