• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New to forum, question about videoscoping with a webcam (1 Viewer)

TurboPascal

Hello,

I find my way here via a recommendation on the dpreview.com forum.

I am new to digiscoping/videoscoping.

For my birthday I received a Konus Konuspot 20-60x80mm Spotting Scope. Probably not the best spotting scope for the task, but I have very simple needs and I am very happy with it.

I have a large wooded area with many critters who come by through the yard and a very impressive Hawk. I have been able to get some nice photos with a T2 adapter and my Olympus XZ-2 but most of time just like looking at them through my scope and not have them be spooked off.

However, there is something more I would like to do. I have a family of Red Fox that will soon be coming through. They like to hang out in the yard and play until sunset.

I would like to attach a webcam to my spotting scope so that I can record them playing and so that my wife and I can both watch from my laptop screen. I tried this with a cheap webcam and all I got was blown exposure. The light I assume is too intense for the webcam or the lens on the webcam is causing problems (not sure which).

Anyway, my question is very simple (I hope)....can I achieve what I am trying to do with my Konus? If yes, which webcam must I purchase and what must I do to set things up?

Thank you in advance, I am having great fun reading many of the posts as I am still learning.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back