• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Butterfly/Moth book (1 Viewer)

Ashley beolens

Breeding the next generation of birders.
Can anyone recomend a Butterfly and or Moth book?

I have always enjoyed looking at these winged cratures but am hopless on what I am looking at, I have some old books that are OK, but could really use a consice book to aid my skills.

Cheers in advance

If it is just a sideline to your birding a neat thin book is The Green Guide series by New Holland 'Butterflies of Britain & Europe'. It is great and only costs £2.50.

I'm after something to keep at home, for the ones I an't ID, I'll be drawing (badly usually) them in the field and checking at home so size is not important, I just want quality pics (drawn or photographed) as half the books I have are not up to much.

Oh and british and European only (I know a Monarch when I see one) I don't want to get too confused just yet.

We've had a copy of The Field Guide to the Butterflies of Britain and Europe by L.G.Higgins and N.D.Riley and published by Collins for many years. I am no expert but have found it extremely useful for identifying purposes. No moths though.

Ashley,
BirdGuides do the CR-Rom guide to British Butterflies, if that's any help. May be better than a book, as vid-clips show them in flight.

Tony

A Field Guide in Colour to Butterflies and Moths. ISBN 0-7064-1293-1 by Ivo Novák and illustrated by Frantisek Severa. (Octopus)
I have always found this A4 sized book extremely comprehensive covering both Moths and Butterflies.

The best serious moth book for identification purposes is Bernard Skinner's ' Colour Identification Guide to Moths of the British Isles'. Bit more expensive but well worth it.

I've just bought 'Butterflies and Day-flying Moths of Britain and Europe' by Michael Chinery. One of the best natural history field-guides I've seen. As always I look for the second-hand opportunites either through Amazon or Abebooks. I think I paid around a fiver for it. The illustrations are superb.

Alan Hill

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back