• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Cuba November 2017 (1 Viewer)

seedyrom

Supporter
Page
/25
Page 1 of 25

ANN AND ROLAND GO BIRDING IN CUBA

(AGAIN!)

NOVEMBER 18TH

– DECEMBER 3RD, 2017

TRAVEL

We flew from Manchester to Amsterdam then on to Cuba with Air France/KLM. We got a

free upgrade to premium Economy on the flight out and were delighted to be given the

same on the way back!

LOGISTICS

The first time we went to Cuba, we did our own thing employing Angel, El Chino’s brother

for 2 days in Zapata and a birder called Elisir for another 2 days to do the Cayo Coco area.

This time we booked a two week tour with El Chino. It was a mistake 

ITINERARY

November 18th. Arrive in Havana

November 19th. Drive to Soroa for overnight stay.

November 20th. Drive to Vinales for 2 nights and to visit La Guira National Park

November22nd. Drive to Playa largo for 4 nights and to explore Zapata

November 27th Drive to Trinidad for overnight stay and to visit El Cubano

November 28th Drive to Sierra de Najasa for 2 night stay at la Belen

November £0th Drive to Cayo Coco for 2 night stay and to bird the cayos

December 2nd Drive to Havana, birding on the way.

DIARY

Saturday, November 18th

We arrived in Havana around 21h30. El Chino had said he would pick us up from the airport

but later changed his mind and told us to take a taxi. When we got to the hotel (Vedado) we

dumped our stuff and went to locate him and make arrangements for the following day. The

hotel was “interesting”. That and the taxi were about an extra £100 on top of the cost of the

tour.

Sunday, November 19th

We had breakfast at 7h00 and set off about 30 minutes later. We had a driver, Pepito, for

the whole of our stay. He didn’t speak English but he drove carefully and was always helpful.

Getting out of Havana proved to be easier said than done as there was a Marathon taking

place and the police were out in full force with many road blocks in operation. Eventually we

found a side road to cut through and were on our way. Havana was mostly as I remembered

though I had forgotten just how dilapidated most of the buildings were! We were soon on

the motorway and stopped at Bauta for birds, toilets and coffee. There is a lake next to the

service area and we had soon clocked up quite a few birds including vast numbers of Lesser

scaup. El Chino thought there might have been around 1000. He commented that there

hadn’t been any the previous week. We had our best ever views of Least and Pied-billed

grebe (at least 6)  We stopped again to look at a beautiful Red-tailed hawk in flight and

then near the Campismo La Chorrera. It was a brief but very fruitful stop as we saw several

different species including Yellow-throated warbler, Cuban emerald, Loggerhead kingbird,
Page 1 of 25
Page 2 of 25

Cuban peewee, Black-throated blue warbler, American redstart, Northern parula, Grey

catbird and Cuban green woodpecker.

The motorway was just as it had been last time we were here with its lack of traffic and full

complement of cheese sellers and hitch-hikers! At Soroa we had a brief wi-fi stop at the

Horizontes Villa Soroa Hotel and Roland and I got to see a Black and white warbler and a

West Indian Woodpecker. We did not have wi-fi cards so couldn’t use the wi-fi and we

elected not to purchase one at all while we were away. We had lunch at El Salto – the

Louisiana waterthrush was still there! We were serenaded throughout by a local group who

were about as tuneful as me  Next we checked into our lovely lodgings: we had our own

little custom built bungalow – just a bedroom and bathroom with a patio but very nice

indeed. There were 2 of these in the grounds of a smallholding set back off the road and it

looked like they were building another one. Pepito drove Roland and I to the Orchid Garden

which we were to bird on our own as El Chino wanted a rest. We didn’t see as many birds as

last time just Western spindalis, Red-legged thrush, Greater Antillean grackle, Cuban

emerald, West indian woodpecker and Palm warbler - but this could have been because of

the time of year. There were some orchids out which was nice but it was incredibly hot.

Later on we went up the hill with El Chino and for a walk along the road and up a track. It

was very pleasant but all too soon we had to turn back as the light was fading. Highlights of

the walk included Great lizard cuckoos, a Cuban trogon, Red-legged honeycreeper and a

Cuban pygmy owl for the men. Fly-overs included Scaly-naped pigeon x2 and Gundlach’s

hawk. There were Turkey vultures everywhere we went today and that set a pattern for the

rest of the holiday!! We had a lovely meal back at the casa (El Alto Mireva – recommended!)

and I was absolutely delighted to find myself sharing the shower with a lovely little tree frog.

Made my day  though I was nearly as excited to find a tiny green lizard in there too the

next morning!

American Coot

American Kestrel

American Redstart

Antillean Palm Swift

Black-and-white Warbler

Black-throated Blue Warbler

Black-throated Green Warbler

Common Gallinule

Common Yellowthroat

Cuban Blackbird (Endemic)

Cuban Emerald

Cuban Green Woodpecker (Endemic)

Cuban Oriole (Endemic)

Cuban Pewee

Cuban Pygmy Owl (Endemic)

Cuban Tody (Endemic)

Cuban Trogon (Endemic)

Eurasian Collared Dove

Great Blue Heron

Great Egret

Great Lizard Cuckoo

Greater Antillean Grackle

Green Heron

Grey Catbird
Page 2 of 25
Page 3 of 25

Gundlach's Hawk (Endemic) - EN

House Sparrow

La Sagra's Flycatcher

Least Grebe

Lesser Scaup

Little Blue Heron

Loggerhead Kingbird

Louisiana Waterthrush

Mourning Dove

Neotropic Cormorant

Northern Mockingbird

Northern Parula

Palm Warbler

Pied-billed Grebe

Red-legged Honeycreeper

Red-legged Thrush

Red-tailed Hawk

Rock Dove

Ruddy Duck

Scaly-naped Pigeon

Smooth-billed Ani

Snowy Egret

Summer Tanager

Turkey Vulture

West Indian Woodpecker

Western Cattle Egret

Western Spindalis

Yellow-faced Grassquit

Yellow-headed Warbler (Endemic)

Yellow-throated Vireo

Yellow-throated Warbler

Monday, November 20th

After breakfast we went down to the hotel for Chino’s wi-fi and to look for Scaly-naped

pigeons. El Chino said he had seen some in the grounds the previous week. Unfortunately

we couldn’t find any though we did see White-winged and White-crowned pigeons and a

Tawny-shouldered blackbird was pointed out. We had excellent views too of a Northern

Flicker. Time to set off for Vinales stopping here and there by patches of water to scan for

waders etc. We were amused by the road signs near Pinar del Rio of a dangerous crossing as

a road actually crosses the motorway at that point! We also saw a couple of bridges that

had been built over the motorway but had no roads at either end! We did an emergency

stop to watch a Belted kingfisher doing what it does best: fishing and as we passed the

Tilapia production lakes on our left we had views of 2 Osprey and a Snail kite through the

windscreen. We saw loads of Snail kite last time we came but not on this trip. We turned off

for the Hotel Mirador de San Diego hoping to see Cesar (bird guide) but he was out with a

group. Never mind, it was another wi-fi and coffee opportunity. There were lots of House

sparrows and Antillean swifts swooping really low and through the restaurant area. From

here we moved on to la Guira National Park. The road has now been fixed and is perfectly

driveable. We stopped once for a bit of a walk and enjoyed close-up views of the beautiful

Olive-capped warbler. As we continued the scenery became very striking and unlike any we
Page 3 of 25
Ann and Roland Go Birding in Cuba November 2017.pdf
Displaying Ann and Roland Go Birding in Cuba November 2017.pdf.

Ann / Roland, I don't know if you realise but none of your recent trip reports seem to have any working links that I can see & the text only covers the first 3 or so pages of the report.

Oops :( Don't know how that has happened but I will sort it as soon as I can. Many thanks for letting me (Ann) know.

You ask for the Bee hummingbird house in Playa Largo. It is well known. Alternatively you can contact El Chino and get him to take you there. For anprice! I would just get a taxi if I were you. No cost when you get there. Just give them a bit of money towards bird food and feeder upkeep.

The house in question is in the village of Palpite, a couple of km north of Playa Larga. It is in the north east corner of the village - if you come by taxi, park on the main road just before the right hand turn to Sopillar. The house is a couple of streets in from the road and is now painted green, not pink as often quoted in trip reports. If you get stuck, show the locals a picture in the field guide and they'll soon direct you to the right place

Hi! Don't know if you got my reply. In Gujurat and wifi not best. Just go to Playa Largo and ask for the Bee Hummingbird House. Any taxi driver should know it. The birds are in someone's back garden. No fee to go and see them but do write in his visitor's book and leave him a little money towards upkeep of the feeders. Enjoy!
Ann

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back