• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New Nikon travel scope (1 Viewer)

Anthony S said:
Why do some people want a stay-on-case? In 20 years I've never used a case for any scope, waterproof or not, and never had any problems. In any case, the ED50 is waterproof, so what advatage does a stay-on-case offer. Seems to me it just adds extra bulk.

Just my 2 cents.

I fully agree on this one. The main benefit of a stay-on case is the insulation in very hot or cold weather. Otherwise, any piece of cloth or so should suffice for transportation. The bulk problem has also led to a number of unused binocular cases that I have at home.

Swissboy said:
I fully agree on this one. The main benefit of a stay-on case is the insulation in very hot or cold weather. Otherwise, any piece of cloth or so should suffice for transportation. The bulk problem has also led to a number of unused binocular cases that I have at home.

I like to use a SOC for carrying the scope over my shoulder, with the strap provided with the SOC. I prefer not to carry a scope attached to my tripod.

Swissboy said:

Mmmmmm - what about a small degree of protection (by a good stay on case) in regard to prevention of slight knocks on the instrument, which could affect collimation, also the protruding focusing system. Additionally it would reduce the amount of surface scuffing that optics are subjected to whilst adding to any value on sale or trade in should one wish to change it.

I second what Pyrtle said.

If you are buying a new scope like swaro, zeiss, kowa and nikon or any good scope that is intended to last a life time that you wouldn't spend that extra few quid to keep it in prime condition and protect it from knocks, scratches, dust etc...

Quote: Why do some people want a stay-on-case? In 20 years I've never used a case for any scope, waterproof or not, and never had any problems. In any case, the ED50 is waterproof, so what advatage does a stay-on-case offer. Seems to me it just adds extra bulk.

I use mine for all the above reasons and to carry it with the strap.

But like most things I guess, each to their own.

Last edited:
Swissboy said:
It'll be interesting to see whether this scope fills a true need. In a way, its objective diameter is not that much above a 42mm type of binoculars. And the EDIII with its 60mm lens is already a very lightweight scope, but with better resolution due to this larger objective diameter. Thus, a 50mm ED scope will be a really good thing only for those - overall rare - occasions when one has to restrict one's luggage to such an extent that only 20 or 25mm binoculars plus this new scope fit in. And even this small scope can only deliver if one uses a sufficiently sturdy tripod.

But then, maybe users of the present crop of small (below 60mm) scopes can provide some arguments? I'd like to hear about them.

I have been reading the comments and advice on here for a while now. I have bought a used Nikon Fieldscope ED 50 with 2 eyepieces, (old type), 20-45x Zoom & 30x wide, case, and used Manfrotto tripod for £325 GBP.
Considering I had the following on my list I'm well pleased with it: -
Nikon Fieldscope ED111
Swarovski ATS 65mm HD
Zeiss 65
Pentax PF 65mm ED
Opticron GS665 GA
The Opticron is the cheapest, but the rest average out at around £820 with 30x eyepiece & stay on case.

However, consider the following: -
I was trying to keep the weight down as we walk and cycle on most of our trips, equipment not used much from vehicles.
I do acknowledge that it will be inferior to a larger scope in poor light conditions and longer distances.
I could not tell much difference between the Nikon and a top of the range Kowa scope, not enough to warrant the extra weight.

I can see much more than my Opticron Verano 8 x 42 binoculars so I'm happy.

Spend as much time as you can choosing and take someone with you for a second opinion.

Thanks to everyone who posted information and advice here, it has helped make a much better purchase. Much appreciated.
Cheers,
Harry.

PYRTLE said:
Mmmmmm - what about a small degree of protection (by a good stay on case) in regard to prevention of slight knocks on the instrument, which could affect collimation, also the protruding focusing system. Additionally it would reduce the amount of surface scuffing that optics are subjected to whilst adding to any value on sale or trade in should one wish to change it.

I tend to consider my optics are for efficient use, not for potential resale. Thus, some scratches don't matter. It just makes them less prone to be stolen. And I would not normally carry my scope detached from the tripod for being faster in setting it up.
But I agree that a SOC does give some protection in case a scope gets knocked down and tumbles to the hard ground. So, once again, we don't all set the same priorities, I guess. Or we judge the likelihood of events differently. I tend to be an optimist in life, maybe that's why I have made it without a SOC so far?
I should add, however, that I have a protective woolen sleeve that I use when packing up the scope. But that is much less bulky and very much lighter in weight than a SOC. And when I need to REALLY save weight or volume on travels, I wrap the scope in a towel or a piece of clothing that I have with me anyway. (Pretty similar procedure holds for the binoculars.)

Last edited:
Pink Angled ED 50 in U.S.?

Am looking at purchasing an angled ED50 scope for my wife, and would love to get her the pink colored model. Checked with the bigger mail order firms and they carry only the dark grey. Does anyone know where I could purchase one here in the States, or it only a color available in Europe or elsewhere? Has anyone seen one? Thanks!

karmantra said:
Am looking at purchasing an angled ED50 scope for my wife, and would love to get her the pink colored model. Checked with the bigger mail order firms and they carry only the dark grey. Does anyone know where I could purchase one here in the States, or it only a color available in Europe or elsewhere? Has anyone seen one? Thanks!

Just ordered an ED50 from bristolcameras.co.uk

I would have loved to have bought a pink scope too but unfortunately they only have grey and green here in the UK.

What a shame - a pink scope would have been great fun (& been a bit of a talking point!). ;)

Alex

Pink scope?

Alex_sk said:
Just ordered an ED50 from bristolcameras.co.uk

I would have loved to have bought a pink scope too but unfortunately they only have grey and green here in the UK.

What a shame - a pink scope would have been great fun (& been a bit of a talking point!). ;)

Alex
Contacted Nikon USA about pink ED 50s, but no response--wife figures that a pink scope would be a hummingbird 'magnet' in mountain meadows!

karmantra said:
Contacted Nikon USA about pink ED 50s, but no response--wife figures that a pink scope would be a hummingbird 'magnet' in mountain meadows!
i have a nikon ed50 in grey, i am glad its not pink . otherwise it might be a magnet.

Last edited:
New Nikon Stay on Cover

Does anyone know if the new Nikon ED50 stay on cover is out yet? Nikon told me it would be out in October at the Birdfair, havn't heard anything yet. (Don't want Infocus's one)

Penny

Penny Clarke said:
Does anyone know if the new Nikon ED50 stay on cover is out yet? Nikon told me it would be out in October at the Birdfair, havn't heard anything yet. (Don't want Infocus's one)

Penny

I've not seen it yet Penny, will see what I can find out for you.

postcardcv said:
I've not seen it yet Penny, will see what I can find out for you.

The Nikon website is always late with news of new kit. I contacted WE over week ago to see if they know anything, and they haven't bothered replying yet.

trealawboy said:
The Nikon website is always late with news of new kit. I contacted WE over week ago to see if they know anything, and they haven't bothered replying yet.

I spoke with WE this morning. They say its only available bundled in with new scopes, and that I should contact Nikon to see if its possible to purchase it separately. I phoned Nikon and they suggested I contacted a Nikon retailer.

Hopeless!

trealawboy said:
I spoke with WE this morning. They say its only available bundled in with new scopes, and that I should contact Nikon to see if its possible to purchase it separately. I phoned Nikon and they suggested I contacted a Nikon retailer.

Hopeless!

Thanks for finding that out - not a very good service for people that have already bought the scope!!!! :eek!:

More news. I contacted Nikon UK by e-mail yesterday, as follows:

"I visited the Birdfair at Rutland Water in August 2006, where a prototype stay-on case was on display. Nikon staff suggested that this new case would be on sale in the UK from October through the usual optics retailers.

Speaking with Warehouse Express in Norwich this morning, I was told that the case was only available bundled in with a new scope, and that I should contact Nikon directly. I already have a scope, so I phoned Nikon this morning, but the service representative was unable to help.

I'd be grateful if you can offer some advice."

Here's the response:

"If the case for ED-50 is be announced, we would know about this. This didn't happen so far. Might be to get it from 3rd part producers.
We're sorry, but this is only a position we can give you now. Thank you."

I purchased the ed 50 in the UK last month It came with a case ,but the objective end dont open .This seems kind of silly as if it did it would be a nice stay on protective cover . I wonder why nikon would package a stay on cover that has to be removed before use.
Brian.
ps The guy at the in focus store in Lancashire was very friendly & helpful to me when i got the ed 50. Wish i had a store like in Ohio.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back