• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Rescue Sparrows (1 Viewer)

Mgriffin

Well as I'm sure you'll see by this message I am in now way an experienced birder at this point just happened upon a nest that had fallen out after a storm. Most of the babies had died. Two of them surrvived. So the research began. I found a formula for feeding them (they grow so fast) but the information available seems repetitive and I'm running in to a brick wall. I am hoping with a little information that I give someone out there can help me get to the next step.

I found the birds Sunday June 29th, from the pictures and info I have been able to gather I figure they were probably a few days old at the time. Thier pin feathers where just comming in under the skin. I put together a box with some soft bedding, kept them warm and made a formula from high protien cat food soaked, hard boiled eggs, applesauce and tums ground and disolved in a cap full of water. I fed them every 20 to 30 minutes for 18 hours or so a day. I've rubbed thier little beaks with pedialite and warm water to keep them hydrated.

I've given them light during the day and blacked out thier enviornment for a few hours every night. They are adorable little sparrows but I'm not sure what to do next. Once their feathers came in everything happened quickly they seemed to be experts at perching on day while just the day before they were pushing themselves around with thier heads on the ground. Now they are starting to fly around the house in short spurts. Hiding under things and such.

What I need to know is, how old should they be when I release them. What do I need to do foodwise in order to prepare them to find food on thier own. I obviously don't want to keep them as thier lives will be better in the wild. How will they find shelter and food. Will this come naturally or is there something I need to do. Should I change up thier diet now that thier older. I've made it more pastey now that thier older and thier beaks are stronger and sharper. Should I introduce them to water, bath and such.

I just want to do what I need to prepare them for life on the outside as I imagine once I turn them loose that will be the end of it. Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks.
M. Griffin

Greetings!
You did wonderfully raising healthy birds.

When you say that "Now they are starting to fly around the house in short spurts." this is not a good sign for releasing a bird into the wild. Wildlife Rehabilitator's would not be having this happen and they do ready and release wild birds back into the wild.

If these are House Sparrows, an introduced species, it may be legal in your state to have them as pets. You would need to check into that. The Audobon Society of Portland Oregon may be one place to try. www.audubonportland.org

Chris Chester has written a book about his adventure rescuing a House Sparrow and making it a part of his life. He lives in Portland, Oregon, so I am assuming that it must be legal to keep them as pet there. The book is called Providence of a Sparrow and I think that you would enjoy it as much as I did.
Best Wishes,
Destined to Fly

Thankyou for the help

Hey thank you so much for all the information. I appreciate the complement on the care I have provided as well. This information is extremely helpful and I will keep the group posted. Thanks again!!

M-

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back