• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Tripod head for scope question (1 Viewer)

Chris B.

I've been a photographer for over 35 years and so have several tripods and ball heads of various sizes to accommodate my photo gear which include DSLRs and a 400mm lens. I'll be purchasing a scope for digiscoping within the next few months, probably a Nikon 82ED, and although I know I can use one of my tripods, is there a major advantage to using a fluid head as opposed to one of my ball heads?

Chris

I use a ball head with my very small Nikon ED50 and it is ideal.
I've tried my Pentax PF80 on a Markins M10 and it sucks.

It's all about size and weight. With larger scopes one has to keep the tension knobs quite loose to pan reasonably quick and it becomes a floppy situation. There's too much inertia with the larger scopes. They are slow to use as your busying yourself with getting on target, locking down knobs, and focusing.

Fluid heads (I use Manfrotto 3130s) are two axis heads and the only movement you have to concern yourself with is fore and aft (azimuth) which is easily damped by the head. Much safer and a lot less fiddly. Much of the time you'll never concern yourself with locking anything down.

Hey you have the ball heads already, give it a go, it can't hurt. When you look at fluid heads the Manfrotto 128RC (replacement for 3130) and Gitzo G2180 are popular for scope use. The new Manfrotto 701HDV also looks interesting.

Last edited:
I use a ball head with my very small Nikon ED50 and it is ideal.
I've tried my Pentax PF80 on a Markins M10 and it sucks.

It's all about size and weight. With larger scopes one has to keep the tension knobs quite loose to pan reasonably quick and it becomes a floppy situation. There's too much inertia with the larger scopes. They are slow to use as your busying yourself with getting on target, locking down knobs, and focusing.

Fluid heads (I use Manfrotto 3130s) are two axis heads and the only movement you have to concern yourself with is fore and aft (azimuth) which is easily damped by the head. Much safer and a lot less fiddly. Much of the time you'll never concern yourself with locking anything down.

My question is how well the fluid heads work with a full size scope (in my case a Kowa 883). This is my first scope, and I've been more familiar with simple heads used with lightweight camera tripods. I got a Manfrotto 701RC2, and although I've not been able to use it yet (the legs have yet to arrive), it seems that there is considerably more resistance without locking than with the ball type. My concern is the ability to find and track birds with this type of head, given the need to lock two different controls, etc. I'd be interested to hear what other folks think. Thanks.

Veagle

i just bought a manfrotto 055 tripod and im awaiting delivery of a 128rc head, should be here tomorrow i got the head from a well known internet auction site for £60 new to use with a 70mm spotting scope and a pair of 15x70 bins. i can let you know how it performs when i get it if its any help

cheers mark

i received the manfrotto 128rc head today and couldnt be more pleased! it is rated for 4kgs and manages my 70mm meopta scope with ease, nothing to tighten or loosen and it stays exactly where i put it. you just set it to give enough resistance and thats it, moves very smoothly with its fluid head and is far better than my old head that needed constant tightning and loosening and was very sticky. the 128 is a pleasure to use and only cost £60. its a revelation for me to be able to pan in two dimensions at once... even going round in circles,

Attachments

• 1281.JPG
    1281.JPG
    43.4 KB · Views: 132
  • 1282.JPG
    1282.JPG
    43.7 KB · Views: 133
Tripods are a major head headache for me. My Manfrotto, old model, keeps falling apart. The fluid head is the least trouble, I can't see a bllhead being all that reliable. The simpler the better. Less parts is best, but sometimes the extra screws give steadyness.

And old tripods are not sellable, so buy a good one to start with.

I see more 128rc heads on top of the tripods of birders than any other head. I have one myself and it works just fine. Smooth movement and simple to use.

i agree, once the tension is set with the two lock nuts you can move it with finger and thumb very smoothly and let go and it just stays where you put it. very simple to use. only problem is its so smooth it can make you feel a little woozy.

By the way, I had the plate fall apart on me, the one that attaches to the scope. I fixed it myself, it had a little piece of hardware attached to the screw that fell out. A good investment would be a spare plate. One for each tripod if you have two.

Last edited:
is there a major advantage to using a fluid head as opposed to one of my ball heads?

I think a friction ballhead can be the fastest on the bird but there are a few prerequisites. The mounting thread of the scope should be under the centre of gravity, or for scopes where this is not the case (e.g. Zeiss 85, Swaro 65 or Nikon Fieldscope III) a long Gitzo or Arca Swiss-type quick release plate should be used to achieve balance.
A small amount of lateral tilt is unavoidable when sighting and is of no concern with a straight scope but could be disturbing with angled scopes. FLM sell friction ballheads where lateral tilt can be locked out but one then loses the advantage of constant force for pan and tilt.
Lastly, at least +/-30° of tilt should be available in all planes. I don't think the latest generation of Gitzo ballheads fulfil this requirement.

John

I use the manfrotto 128 RC head with Gitzo 5541 LS legs with my Swarovski 80 HD and could not be more pleased. It is very fluid and I can track flying birds easily.

When you find something that works well it is such a relief;you do not have to think or wonder about what is the next product to try. For me, I feel I am set for equipment for quite sometime.

As others have commented the Manfrotto 128 RC is used by a lot of birders and function and reliability are why. There may be other heads that weigh less and function well. The 128 RC is a real solid choice however.

Silvermesa

Another vote for fluid heads. I have the Swarovski FH101 which I use (on Gitzo legs) both for a 77mm Leica scope & a Nikon D70/300mm f.4 combo, and am very pleased with it. It's light, very smooth & holds its settings beautifully. I haven't had any experience with a top-of-the-line ball head, but I have used one of the medium-priced ones--an old Bogen--& was not happy with it at all.

An airline snapped the fluid head in two for the scope of a friend. The ball head might survive more travel. Not sure of the fluid part..may freeze in cold.

I use the manfrotto 128 RC head with Gitzo 5541 LS legs with my Swarovski 80 HD and could not be more pleased. It is very fluid and I can track flying birds easily.

When you find something that works well it is such a relief;you do not have to think or wonder about what is the next product to try. For me, I feel I am set for equipment for quite sometime.

As others have commented the Manfrotto 128 RC is used by a lot of birders and function and reliability are why. There may be other heads that weigh less and function well. The 128 RC is a real solid choice however.

Silvermesa

Without doubt, one of the very best video heads a birder can put a scope on. A birding mate of mine has had one in constant use for ten years and it is still smooth to use.
fiddler.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back