• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

ID help from recent trip (1 Viewer)

david.wood

Hello,

Just back from a trip around Namibia and have a couple of birds that i could use some help with ID. Had a great time, amazing landscapes, great wildlife and a really easy country to travel in. Much greener and wetter than usual, made for some interesting driving conditions and etosha game viewing a bit more difficult, but great nonetheless.

1 and 2, seen at Sossusvlei - i guess chestnut vented tit babbler but doesn't look much like the image in Sasol guide. Much greyer/whiter in guide, this was blue/grey and white on undertail seems wrong.

3, seen at etosha - i thought this was a wheatear at the time but couldn't ID it. Now wondering if its a chat flycatcher (very worrying when you can't tell wheatears from flycatchers!!)

4 - this is just for interest, its a leucustic double banded courser in etosha.

Many thanks, david

Attachments

• IMG_2942.JPG
    IMG_2942.JPG
    116.5 KB · Views: 122
  • IMG_2948.JPG
    IMG_2948.JPG
    108.7 KB · Views: 124
  • IMG_3533.JPG
    IMG_3533.JPG
    39.2 KB · Views: 133
  • IMG_3590.JPG
    IMG_3590.JPG
    92.4 KB · Views: 127
I'd agree with your identifications; if it makes you feel better I was rather thrown by chat flycatcher, when I first saw one, as well. The courser's pretty groovy.

Cheers

Steve

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back