• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Televue 76 and Pentax XW40 Videoscope (1 Viewer)

Outstanding video quality! Were you using a mirror diagonal? How do you like the 40mm XW? Great work!

I was using a 2" dielectric mirror diagonal. The eyerelief on the Pentax XW 40 is crazy long and the eye lens is huge. Makes for an awesome videoscoping eyepiece.

For viewing, it makes a nice finder eyepiece since the magnification works out to only 12x for the Televue 76's 480mm fl. It is rather hefty though, even bulkier than my Ethos 13mm eyepiece.

Thanks for the info! I've been wanting a 40mm XW for a while now. Currently using a 30mm 80 deg EP that gives me a mag around 20x but I prefer mags around 15x which the 40XW would give me. From the looks of your video the XW has a very neutral color tone and excellent sharpness.

Last edited:
Next step, I'm getting a Televue Powermate 2x to give me more magnification. My Pentax 20 XW eyepiece doesn't have enough eyerelief to get rid of the vignetting of my camcorder. It should also give me more flexibility with prime focus videoscoping down the road. I'm planning on getting the Sony Alpha Nex 7 later on this year and that camera has 1080p at 60 fps capabilities.

With my 0.7x focal reducer and 2x Powermate, I should be able to take prime focus pictures and videos at 3 different magnifications.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back