• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Best current camera for HD videoscoping? (1 Viewer)

buzzard12

Hi all,

I will be looking for a camera to digiscope, though more especially I am interested in video and am looking at a camera to capture HD footage. The scope will be a Svaro ATS, either 85mm or 95mm objective.
Contenders seem to be Panasonic G3 or possibly a Sony RX? Any recommendations or advice gratefully received..

Have you considered a Nikon V1/V2? I use a V1 with 10-30mm kit lens attached via a DCA to my Swarovski ATS80HD scope and get great video results.

Mike

Hi,

When you say "best", things are different: I can suggest Black Magic Pocket Cinema Camera with Panasonic 35-100mm 2.8 lens. This camera produces raw files that are circa 3 GB/minute at 12 bit color depth and 13 stop dynamic range. The question is can you handle it?

Murat F. Özçelik

Hi all,

I will be looking for a camera to digiscope, though more especially I am interested in video and am looking at a camera to capture HD footage. The scope will be a Svaro ATS, either 85mm or 95mm objective.
Contenders seem to be Panasonic G3 or possibly a Sony RX? Any recommendations or advice gratefully received..

The Panasonic GH3 is probably the best out there but the Sony RX100 M2 gives it some pressure. I like shooting in full HD and 50p.
Neil

Thank you all for taking time to comment...

Mike, had not given the Nikon 1 a look, though have now. Have trawled the threads here and the camera certainly produces nice results, especially stills. I have noted some say the camera tends to overheat after lengthy videoscoping? Despite this it looks interesting. A huge factor is the price, now that the Nikon2 is out it is possible to source this camera for 350 euro, possibly less, which is remarkable value...
The Sony RX100 M2 looks like one hell of a videoscoping tool. At 600 euro it is not cheap, though features like the flip screen and the sheer video quality perhaps justify the price. I find the portability of this model another attractive feature. I found your Vimeo channel Neill, I was very impressed. The quality of video is stunning. The DCBll seems to be the adaptor of choice here?
The Panasonic GM3, at 1000 euro for the body only, a major expense. The video I have seen on YouTube looks phenomenal. It bulk seems to put some people off, though it seems this is a tough, rugged camera body, which is reassuring due to the price tag. A major plus was to find that an apaptor means I can use nikon fit lenses, albeit manually. I have a Nikon D90, which got me into video shooting, though the quality is a little disappointing. However I do have some nice Nikon fit lenses, a Tokina 11-16mm WA, sigma 150mm Macro, Sigma 150-500mm OS and Nikkor 50mm 1.8. Other plus point are the touch screen control, the screen itself, excellent slow motion capture, huge range of shooting features. The video looks phenomenal...
The GM3 certainly seems the best option for video, though it comes at a high price. I have struggled to find any videoscoped GM3 footage anywhere online. If anyone here is using this camera I would very much like to see any results anyone on the forum here might have a link to.
The question I need to answer now is, despite the high price, does the quality of video and the wider range of shooting options justify the expense?

I do use my V1 quite a lot for videoscoping, usually shooting clips for up to a minute or so. During these shots the camera does occasionally get warm (during the summer months) but I have not found it to be a problem. I am highly satisfied with the quality of both stills and video with this little gem.

Mike

I do use my V1 quite a lot for videoscoping, usually shooting clips for up to a minute or so. During these shots the camera does occasionally get warm (during the summer months) but I have not found it to be a problem. I am highly satisfied with the quality of both stills and video with this little gem.

Mike

Mike,
The video quality certainly is good at 30p. The trouble is that when shooting for more than about 10 mins in summer the camera gets very hot and will switch off. I think the batteries were at bit "strong"for the V1 as they are the same batteries from the D800 and D7000. Nikon put a lighter battery in the V2 which solved this problem.
Neil.

Thank you all for taking time to comment...

Mike, had not given the Nikon 1 a look, though have now. Have trawled the threads here and the camera certainly produces nice results, especially stills. I have noted some say the camera tends to overheat after lengthy videoscoping? Despite this it looks interesting. A huge factor is the price, now that the Nikon2 is out it is possible to source this camera for 350 euro, possibly less, which is remarkable value...
The Sony RX100 M2 looks like one hell of a videoscoping tool. At 600 euro it is not cheap, though features like the flip screen and the sheer video quality perhaps justify the price. I find the portability of this model another attractive feature. I found your Vimeo channel Neill, I was very impressed. The quality of video is stunning. The DCBll seems to be the adaptor of choice here?
The Panasonic GM3, at 1000 euro for the body only, a major expense. The video I have seen on YouTube looks phenomenal. It bulk seems to put some people off, though it seems this is a tough, rugged camera body, which is reassuring due to the price tag. A major plus was to find that an apaptor means I can use nikon fit lenses, albeit manually. I have a Nikon D90, which got me into video shooting, though the quality is a little disappointing. However I do have some nice Nikon fit lenses, a Tokina 11-16mm WA, sigma 150mm Macro, Sigma 150-500mm OS and Nikkor 50mm 1.8. Other plus point are the touch screen control, the screen itself, excellent slow motion capture, huge range of shooting features. The video looks phenomenal...
The GM3 certainly seems the best option for video, though it comes at a high price. I have struggled to find any videoscoped GM3 footage anywhere online. If anyone here is using this camera I would very much like to see any results anyone on the forum here might have a link to.
The question I need to answer now is, despite the high price, does the quality of video and the wider range of shooting options justify the expense?

Have a look at the price of the Sony RX 100 as it's got the same lens as the newer M2 version. The major difference is the flip up screen on the M2 which the original doesn't have. For video you wouldn't see any difference.
Neil.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back