• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

GH4 and other mirrorless vs Nikon D4s (1 Viewer)

njlarsen

Gallery Moderator
Opus Editor
Supporter
Barbados
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=up8K_xd_iwU is a review of continuous and single shot AF of 4 different mirrorless vs the D4s. Of course the $6500 D4s won, but by very little according to the person doing this. One very interesting remark towards the end: the mirrorless cameras included each outcompete all dSLR cameras in their own price bracket, you have to choose a significantly more expensive dSLR for that one to be better.

The drawback of this test for our use: the test was with around 100 mm focal length. The long lenses in mirrorless are still behind, presumably.

Niels

Two drawbacks to me- EVF aquisition which he didn't really test and lack of lenses. I have a gx7 and it produces very good results from static and reasonably near subjects, after that it gets difficult to actually find them through viewfinder. I wait with anticipation for 300mm prime ( and next round of EVFs )

I have been using mirrorless alongside my DSLR for years now, and they certainly weren't really up to continuous focus in the past - none of them, really, excepting the Nikon 1 series, which took advantage of a much smaller sensor and wider depth of field to help it. I still shot birds, and birds in flight, but always using single focus, and constantly reacquiring.

I upgraded to the Sony A6000 when it debuted, using it with the same lenses as my NEX-5N before it, namely a 55-210mm lens with a max aperture at the long end of F6.3. The only way to get more reasonable reach was by use of a teleextender - I use a 1.7x Sony DH1758 teleextender of an afocal design that screws onto the filter threads, and it gives me 357mm (535mm equivalent in 35mm terms). The good news is that the review above in my experience is exactly true - the mirrorless cameras have caught up to entry DSLRs...if not potentially exceeding them a bit. The A6000 tracks focus every bit as good as my DSLR...and even has some nifty focus features I don't have with the DSLR such as lock-on AF tracking mode, many more selectable focus zones, and much bigger coverage with 179 cross-type PDAF points covering about 90% of the frame. It's superbly fast, no wavering, and tracks beautifully. As for the EVF - hasn't really been an issue for me, as a long-time OVF user. It doesn't quite match an OVF for panning with the very fastest and most erratic birds - following something like a martin or swallow with all its dekes and turns at full speed is already difficult with an OVF, and with an EVF firing a burst of shots, you eventually just can't keep it in the finder. But you can still acquire it just as easily, and pan with it easily when not firing and getting initial focus, and can stay with it through half-a-dozen or a dozen shots before you lose it - so it's not like you're out of the game...you just generally can't keep the bird in the frame for as long and for as many shots.

Absolutely and without doubt, the GH4, A6000, EM1, and XT1 are a step above their mirrorless large-sensor competition and forebears. Having a previous M4:3 or NEX model won't give you even close to an idea how fast the focus is on these new-gen mirrorless cams, and how well they can continuously focus and track the subjects. It's nice that my second body cam, which I bought as a light second body to the DSLR, or to sometimes take its place when it was too hot to lug the big gear around, can now cover for all the same types of shots, lacking only in reach and fast lenses...previously when bringing the mirrorless, I could get the occasional BIF shot, maybe 1 for every 100 still shots...but now, I am shooting roughly 50/50 on BIFs and still birds with the A6000 and the hit rate is dead-heat with the DSLR.

Part of my problem is actually finding the bird. When I try to find a bird in amongst branches or in a bush I find it very difficult to actually see it through the viewfinder . I don't know why but contrast or something else ? Do these newer EVFs have better optics to overcome this ?

I have the Fuji XT1, although this camera is no match for the D800, it is fabulous.

I like the EVF, having never really used one before, it is different for someone like me, I'm a lot slower with the Fuji, but maybe that's a good thing, I'm almost going back to film days, where I'm concentrating more, checking, double checking. I like the dials, and use them more than the menu.

It doesn't give me the images I get from the Nikon, but for close to, it does the job. Fuji I think have planned a 400mm, which gives you a 600mm approx, so we'll see what results we can achieve.

Part of my problem is actually finding the bird. When I try to find a bird in amongst branches or in a bush I find it very difficult to actually see it through the viewfinder . I don't know why but contrast or something else ? Do these newer EVFs have better optics to overcome this ?

I think what you may see is cameras with EVFs split into two designs - one for wildlife/sports shooters that has better, less peaky contrast and extremely fast refresh even if lower overall resolution, and super-high resolution viewers for landscape shooters and manual focus shooters who need extreme res and magnification.

My NEX-5N had a very high spec EVF, that was always well regarded by people - for me, I did find it more difficult to use for birding because it was very very peaky - I could use it for basic framing and composition, but could never see the capturable dynamic range of the sensor as highlights and shadows were blown in the finder even though they wouldn't be in the final shot. Despite being higher resolution, it just wasn't as good for a small bird among branches...and didn't seem to refresh as well in continuous shooting while following a bird.

My A6000 has what was criticized early on as a 'lower res' EVF, and everyone commented on it being a cost-cutting thing and big loss. Except as a birder, I find this viewfinder to be a significant step UP - it's much better at handling contrast, not as peaky and keen to blow highlights, much better gradations, and seems to have an extremely fast refresh - following a moving subject is not as difficult because there's less of that slideshow stagger. It's still there, but it's better overall...If I could choose the same camera with the supposedly 'better' EVF from the NEX-7/6/5N and the new one of the A6000, I'd pick the new lower res one hands-down - it's just better for my type of shooting.

I'm eagerly waiting for the gh4 to be actually available in the UK to see what its about. I might even dabble in video !

43rumors has a link to the BH photo discussion video about GH4 that took place yesterday(?). Some interesting and mostly video-centered comments from the 1/2 hour I viewed of it, but also glowing remarks about the camera as a stills machine. The interesting thing would be to take 4k video and be able to export a 8mpix jpg from just the right frame in that video. In other words, if you can make do with an 8mpix picture, you can shoot those photos at 25 frames per second. It is not that long ago I was perfectly happy shooting an 8mpix superzoom ...

Niels

43rumors has a link to the BH photo discussion video about GH4 that took place yesterday(?). Some interesting and mostly video-centered comments from the 1/2 hour I viewed of it, but also glowing remarks about the camera as a stills machine. The interesting thing would be to take 4k video and be able to export a 8mpix jpg from just the right frame in that video. In other words, if you can make do with an 8mpix picture, you can shoot those photos at 25 frames per second. It is not that long ago I was perfectly happy shooting an 8mpix superzoom ...

Niels
In 4K UHD (3840x2160) it's 8.3mp @ 30fps or cinema 4K (4196x2160) 8.8mp @24 fps.

Here is a photo my GH4 with 75mm F1.8 Olympus lens next to my 36mp full frame Sony A7r with 55mm F1.8 FE Zeiss lens and full frame Sony VG900 camcorder with 28-70mm FE OSS lens.

Attachments

• 14439787613_ddb049ff73_b.jpg
    14439787613_ddb049ff73_b.jpg
    324.8 KB · Views: 186
Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back