• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Lost Tripod Thread Cover (1 Viewer)

Hi all,

I’m a pretty active hiker of hills and mountains, and chose some Nikon Monarchs as my hiking binocular to acompany me due to the plastic construction and light weight.

However during one of my recent hikes I seem to have lost the Nikon badged tripod threadding cover. Is anyone able to tell me if having this thread exposed will lead to any corrosion or problems down the road in mixed environments out hiking when things are wet and if so are replacements available from anywhere? I’ve been unable to find one so far so I’m hoping that this won’t be an issue.

It may be worth a quick call to Wex photographic in Norwich.
They helped me with a supposedly unobtainable eyepiece for one of my scopes.
The staff are knowledgeable and helpful, and they do mail order.
Harry

Hi all,

I’m a pretty active hiker of hills and mountains, and chose some Nikon Monarchs as my hiking binocular to acompany me due to the plastic construction and light weight.

However during one of my recent hikes I seem to have lost the Nikon badged tripod threadding cover. Is anyone able to tell me if having this thread exposed will lead to any corrosion or problems down the road in mixed environments out hiking when things are wet and if so are replacements available from anywhere? I’ve been unable to find one so far so I’m hoping that this won’t be an issue.

Have you tried Nikon UK? They helped me with the same bit but for my HG's.

tripod thread cover

Certainly try asking Nikon for a replacement but any tripod thread cover will have the same 1/4 inch Whitworth thread. So if your local bino / camera shop has a cover it will fit but it may need to be trimmed to fit between the OG cones.
The cover protects the lower part of the focus assembly from dirt, dust, sand and water but a 1/4 inch whitworth bolt can be used until you obtain a more suitable cover. It would only need to be about 1 cm long.

Thanks for the responses. I’ve emailed Nikon UK’s contact on the website with my question a few days ago now following the suggestion. Hoping for a response...

Edit: just received a response this morning identifying which part I need to order and the cost so this issue should be resolved shortly. I think I’ll buy a few spares if this tends to fall off when out hiking around.

Thanks to everyone for their advice.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back