• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mull or Skye (1 Viewer)

PeterCHa

Hi

I am sure this has been asked many times before so perhaps someone may be able to point at a previous thread.

I am planning a trip to either Mull or Skye and wanted some personal recommendations having been to Mull three times previously and seen some wonderful views of eagles , harriers etc.

I am also keen on other wildlife, otters etc so please include this in recommendations

Hi Peter

Indeed there have been numerous threads about visiting these islands. These were two from last year - the first covers Mull, the second a more general one for Scotland, with Skye as one of the venues.

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=341787
http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=341413

In the first thread is a link to two of the Opus articles for the islands, both of which have good links for the excellent Mull Birding and Sky Birding websites.

You don't say what time of year you're planning to visit, which would be helpful.

Skye is easier to get to as it has a bridge; it has more variety of scenery, the Cuillins are the most spectacular mountains in the UK;

The big advantage of Mull is that it officially "wildlife island" the Scottish tourism people seem to have branded each island and it seems to be impossible to promote any other activity. Mull is full of wildlife tour busses, whereas Skye, is very much "craft island" and it is possible to buy knick-knacks made from any variety of stuff but woe-betide anyone that mentions the wildlife.

Hi Peter. If you hadn't been before I'd suggest Mull - not a clear cut decision though. Given you've been 3 times before I'd suggest Skye. Similar to Mull but on a bigger scale.

Bob keeps this website bang up to date with info.:

http://www.skye-birds.com

Rich

Hi

I am planning to visit early June. Ive seen "Best birdwatching sites in scottish Highlands" recommended Anyone got a copy going spare!

The Gordon Hamlett book you mention is excellent Peter. Full of wonderful information. He's a member here too.

Have you considered driving across Skye and getting the ferry to North Uist? I've stayed on North Uist twice previously and in addition to Eagles and Harriers, its very good for Short-eared Owls, Corncrakes, Waders and Otters. I was also fortunate to see breeding Red-necked Phal's on my last visit.

The beeches are also vast and stunning. Once on North Uist, you can also drive across Benbecula and South Uist. South Uist also gives the option of a return ferry to Oban.

Hi again

I've seen the book on sale but it seems to be the 2005 edition how relevant is it? Is it worth getting the more recent edition?

Have you considered driving across Skye and getting the ferry to North Uist? I've stayed on North Uist twice previously and in addition to Eagles and Harriers, its very good for Short-eared Owls, Corncrakes, Waders and Otters. I was also fortunate to see breeding Red-necked Phal's on my last visit.

The beeches are also vast and stunning. Once on North Uist, you can also drive across Benbecula and South Uist. South Uist also gives the option of a return ferry to Oban.

I have done that very road trip, couple of days on Skye, across to N Uist, week on N Uist then down to S Uist for the boat back to Oban. The two long ferry crossings are great for birds and cetaceans.

Mull or Skye Skye wins this year

Hi

Finally taken the plunge and booked a week in Skye, also ordered the revised version of bird sites in scottish highlands.

Planning to try to view other wildlife on the island and in the waters surrounding any recommendations?

Thanks

peter

A big island.... whereabouts are you staying?

Have a good OS map and explore, explore, explore..... take any (non private) road and see what it offers up. (Did that on Mull and a Merlin - my first- flew in front of the car up over the hedge and across the field... a wonderful moment.)

Consider going as a foot passenger on the ferry to the Uists for a day trip. You don't need to pre-book, so can pick a good day for visiblity.

Hi

I am staying near Uig near the top of the island
planning on a boat trip (or two)

only there for a week so trying to cram as much in as poss!

Peter

Hi

I am planning to visit early June. Ive seen "Best birdwatching sites in scottish Highlands" recommended Anyone got a copy going spare!

Hi Peter,

Send me a PM (include your email address) and I can send you a sample chapter and details of how to save a couple of quid too. No obligation whatsoever.

Cheers,

Gordon

Thanks Gordon but my order has now been received, Ive had a quick look and it seems very comprehensive. I am looking forward to planning my few days there

Peter

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back