• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Great Blue Heron diving for fish (1 Viewer)

normwm

Norm
I saw what I think is unusual behavour for a Great Blue Heron in a small pond in Atlanta, GA, USA. It was perched on a branch about 3 meters above the water, when it flew/dove at a 45 degree angle and speared a fish, just like a kingfisher or tern. The water was deep so the bird had to take off immediately, fish in beak.

Then, a few minutes later, a Green Winged Teal --which was bathing nearby -- suddenly, with a huge splash, dove and swam underwater like a diving duck for 3 or 4 meters. Then it popped up with a huge splash and continued bathing! The teal is a very boyant duck, sitting high in the water, and normally just pokes it's head underwater.

Anyway, I'm a new user.

Hi again Norm and on behalf of the entire staff here at BirdForum, a warm welcome to you:t:

With all the Great Blue Herons I've observed, I can say that I have never seen any of them dive from above. They always seem to wade in the water looking for their meals. I would have loved to have been there with a camcorder to catch something like this taking place.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back