• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

second bird, a flycatcher, from Santa Fe, New Mexico (1 Viewer)

djleahy

This one was at least polite enough to pose for me a bit. This willingness to pose appears to be the single most redeeming feature for flycatchers. However, he countered this small favor with inscrutability.

Attachments

• IMG_6494.jpg
    0 bytes · Views: 1,458
  • IMG_6496.jpg
    0 bytes · Views: 1,435
  • IMG_6498.jpg
    0 bytes · Views: 1,488
It's a member of the "Western Flycatcher" group; probably a Cordilleran Flycatcher based on where you are.

It's a member of the "Western Flycatcher" group; probably a Cordilleran Flycatcher based on where you are.

Thanks, Joe! I was leaning this way. Next time I'll be bold enough to give my guess. I haven't seen the Pacific-Slope version of this guy in about 1000 times as much time spent on the trail in California! I guess I'm not walking in the right places there.

Pacific-slope Flycatchers should be fairly common breeders around Portola Valley. Look for them in along shady streams and listen for their rising "slurpeeeee" call-notes.

I second the second bird! Very yellowish underneath, unlike the empids I've seen....

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back