• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (36 Viewers)

Hi John. Chicks, although it was not easy counting them when some were hiding in grass or underneath adults.

Des.

Yes they can be hard to count. The sewage works brood ( 20 days old) were difficult to see. I put in the log that there were only 2 chicks after looking for an hour or more for the 3rd one and then it walked out of the grass:t:
B :)John

A productive trip to Norfolk / Suffolk for me over the last three days but it looks like I've missed out on yesterday's Sanderling - no sign this morning.

Nice to see that the LRP's on the flashes now have 4 chicks - record shot below (not sharp due mainly to heat haze)

Attachments

• LRP Chicks Flashes 190511.jpg
    LRP Chicks Flashes 190511.jpg
    167.1 KB · Views: 104
A productive trip to Norfolk / Suffolk for me over the last three days but it looks like I've missed out on yesterday's Sanderling - no sign this morning.

Nice to see that the LRP's on the flashes now have 4 chicks - record shot below (not sharp due mainly to heat haze)

Glad you had a good trip Dave, now I've finished uni until late sep :eek!:
I may head off to Dorset/Somerset for a few days, I would love to see/hear a Nightjar and I believe they have them at Arne in Dorset B :)

Missed it as well this morning but what a beautiful morning though! Loads of Swift coming through over the Moors and Oystercatcher mum feeding chick all to a Warbler concert accompanied by calling Cuckoo:t:

Always warms my heart to see a newly hatched brood of LRP at Upton. Least we forgot they are a much scarcer breeding species in Britain now. The lastest report of the Rare Birds Breeding Panel (for 2007) stated there were 1536 pairs of breeding Avocet and only 891 of LRP.

Tony H has just phoned to say a fox again foraging along east 2nd flash shoreline this evening. I think next year we will have to put thorn cuttings along the whole length of the fox fence , this should stop foxes from being able to 'run' up the fence. Let's just hope that the wader chicks can avoid detection or swim into open water which many of them do.

Glad you had a good trip Dave, now I've finished uni until late sep :eek!:
I may head off to Dorset/Somerset for a few days, I would love to see/hear a Nightjar and I believe they have them at Arne in Dorset B :)

Hi Gav,

I had good views of a male Nightjar yesterday evening at Dersingham Bog, Norfolk. If you're heading for Dorset, I can recommend Studland Heath for this species - I've had fabulous views of them there, too.:t:

Last edited:

Dave, Make us jealous. Tell us what you saw in Fenland.

Peter

Ok Pete if you really insist:

Lakenheath: Golden Oriole, Common Crane (2), Nightingale, Grasshopper Warbler, Garganey, Hobby, Garden Warbler, Marsh Harriers, Bittern, Little Egret.

Weeting Heath: Stone Curlew (2), RL Partridge.

Cley: Lesser Yellowlegs, Great Snipe, Grey-headed Wagtail, Spoonbill (8), Little Terns, Whimbrel, Wood Sandpipers, Shorelarks (2), Bearded Tits, Short-eared Owl, Bittern, Hobby, Wheatears, Sandwich Terns, Kittiwakes.

Titchwell: Red-necked Phalarope, Gull-billed Tern, Temminck's Stint (3), Red-crested Pochard, Lots of waders - RP, LRP, Grey Plove, Turnstones, both Godwits, Knots, etc.

Swanton Novers: Osprey, Yellowhammer.

Undisclosed location: male Montagu's Harrier, Grey Partridge, Barn Owl (2), Egyptian Geese, Pink-footed Goose, Dark-bellied Brent Geese, lots of waders, including Sanderlings.

Dersingham: Nightjar, Stonechat, Woodcock (3), Grasshopper Warbler, Tawny Owl

Lots of other stuff, including Cuckoos at several locations. 24 species of Waders noted.

Last edited:
Hi Gav,

I had good views of a male Nightjar yesterday evening at Dersingham Bog, Norfolk. If you're heading for Dorset, I can recommend Studland Heath for this species - I've had fabulous views of them there, too.:t:

Hi Dave, thanks for that, I've arranged to go next friday to see my parents (who live in Dorset), I will definately check out Studland Heath sounds great.

My dad is well excited too, he wants to do some birding with me, it'll be the first time since I was a child so we're bothing looking forward to it.

P.S. Your list is amazing, Stone Curlew is a must species for me, sounds like you had a very fruitful trip :t:

Ok Pete if you really insist:

Lakenheath: Golden Oriole, Common Crane (2), Nightingale, Grasshopper Warbler, Garganey, Hobby, Garden Warbler, Marsh Harriers, Bittern, Little Egret.

Cley: Lesser Yellowlegs, Great Snipe, Grey-headed Wagtail, Spoonbill (8), Little Terns, Whimbrel, Wood Sandpipers, Shorelarks (2), Bearded Tits, Short-eared Owl, Bittern, Hobby, Wheatears, Sandwich Terns, Kittiwakes.

Titchwell: Red-necked Phalarope, Gull-billed Tern, Temminck's Stint (3), Red-crested Pochard, Lots of waders - RP, LRP, Grey Plove, Turnstones, both Godwits, Knots, etc.

Undisclosed location: male Montagu's Harrier, Grey Partridge, Barn Owl (2), Egyptian Geese, Pink-footed Goose, Dark-bellied Brent Geese, lots of waders, including Sanderlings.

Lots of other stuff, including Cuckoos at several locations. 24 species of Waders noted.

Similar to the day I had at Upton on Tuesday8-P:-O

Tony H has just phoned to say a fox again foraging along east 2nd flash shoreline this evening...

Just for the record there was also one directly in front the "Lapwing" hide on the Moors about 6pm. Looked as though it had been for a "swim". Didn't see how it got round/over the fence to the left but it then charged a couple of Canadas with a troupe of goslings - who saw it coming a mile off and sauntered safely into the water.

Paul

I said "make us jealous" but this is overdoing it.

Peter

Highlight from tonights visit to the Moors was seeing a Badger emerge from the reeds and quickly dash across the path (once it spotted us) to the hedgerow/field as we were stood watching a Song Thrush! The Badger was less than 4 foot away from us and this was the closest view of a live Badger we have seen; all of this was less than 40 feet away from the metal gate and still in daylight at 20.45!

After an enforced lay off i returned to Upton this week, managing to get 3 trips in. all 5.30am starts and each until 9am at the moors. couldnt beleive how much has changed in just a few weeks. Got some good pics of Oystercatcher with chicks, for an ahh moment have a look in gallery under waterrailus. Yesterday, in front of east hide, kingfisher doing its hummingbird impression. Also saw prospective new home buyer? see attached. I must admit its great to be back at Upton. regards Dennis

Attachments

• kinghouse.jpg
    kinghouse.jpg
    188.1 KB · Views: 104
After an enforced lay off i returned to Upton this week, managing to get 3 trips in. all 5.30am starts and each until 9am at the moors. couldnt beleive how much has changed in just a few weeks. Got some good pics of Oystercatcher with chicks, for an ahh moment have a look in gallery under waterrailus. Yesterday, in front of east hide, kingfisher doing its hummingbird impression. Also saw prospective new home buyer? see attached. I must admit its great to be back at Upton. regards Dennis

Nice shot Dennis, hope to see that little brown thing on there soon.

Down to the mecca before 5am, a cool and misty start. Got there early to check out the wader chicks, rather than expecting any migration due to the continuous westerlies for the last week or so. The winds were SE and force 3-4, but were localised rather than coming from the SE. A cuckoo called and showed well in the oaktree and a few swifts moved through. This was the first day this spring there was not a passage wader at the Flashes.
Only 1 lapwing chick remained and the 4 LRP chicks got through their 2nd night. There are now 14 adult and 20 Avocet chicks.

Other species seen today were: Shelduck pr, gadwall pr, LRP 7 adults, Lapwing 6 ads.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back