• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bird sounds of Southern Africa (1 Viewer)

brianfm

Botanical Birder
Hi all.

Can anyone suggest a good set of CDs giving bird sounds of Southern Africa
(well atleast some of them!) I would be more than happy if it was recordings of sounds of a more genral nature of the area, just as long as it's not those awful music type.

Brian B :)

I enjoyed "Wildlife Sounds of the African Bush" a 2 CD set compiled by Isidor Davis- ISBN 0-86972-123-2. Basically it is the animal and bird sounds at a South African watering hole - each "track" concentrates on one animal such as Lion - you then hear a distant roar and the 'locals' become agitated with alarm calls and so on. Then it builds up to a kill with lots of scuffling sounds and alarm calls. An accompanying booklet gives times such as Guineafowl Alarm 1' 20" as well as useful info on each animal. No voice overs, no soppy music, just the sound of the bush. More animal sounds but quite a few birds as well.

Thanks Charles and Tony. I will give your ideas some consideration. The Cds with animal sounds might be best as it is really just to give me an idea of what I,m listening to. I'm off to Zambia in November. Been to Botswana, Namibia and Zambia before and the sounds are 'terrific' but would be far more rewarding if I knew what they were comming from! Brian

If you wan't the best and most complete for South Africa; "Roberts' Multimedia Birds of Southern Africa" is by far the most complete:

http://www.sabirding.co.za/rmm/index.htm

- directly from the source. It can also be purchased in various other online birding-gear shops. I can highly recommend it, I found the previous version very usefull before my trip. Enjoy; southern Africa offers some world-class birding...

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back