• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Celestron F-ED Pics (1 Viewer)

Speaking of adapters, I have yet to start digiscoping mainly because I have no idea how to get a camera mounted. There seems to be a bewildering variety of rings, adapters, extension tubes etc. I don't get it.

So I have the Regal 80mm and the Baader Hyperion 17mm. The combo is tops. My camera is a point and shoot Canon A590IS. The Baader Hyperion PDF manuals show all kinds of connections, but nothing that looks like it would work with a point and shoot. Any suggestions for how to proceed would be greatly appreciated.

Mark

Speaking of adapters, I have yet to start digiscoping mainly because I have no idea how to get a camera mounted. There seems to be a bewildering variety of rings, adapters, extension tubes etc. I don't get it.

So I have the Regal 80mm and the Baader Hyperion 17mm. The combo is tops. My camera is a point and shoot Canon A590IS. The Baader Hyperion PDF manuals show all kinds of connections, but nothing that looks like it would work with a point and shoot. Any suggestions for how to proceed would be greatly appreciated.

Mark

I have got just the thing! I would get a Jackar Universal Adapter I have one myself and use it with the Baader 17MM eyepiece the only other thing you would need is a 37mm-43mm stepping ring to attach the two together. Pretty sure thats right :-O

Thanks Bird Garden!!!!

Somehow I knew one quick question on BF would save, in my case, hours of research. I'll ty to post my experience and results when I'm up and running.

Thanks again,
Mark

Thanks Bird Garden!!!!

Somehow I knew one quick question on BF would save, in my case, hours of research. I'll ty to post my experience and results when I'm up and running.

Thanks again,
Mark

Could you tell me how much vignetting you get with your camera when you get all the things you need? I am looking to upgrade my camera but since hardly anyone uses the scope I havent made the move :-O

Talking of various lens combinations. Recently aquired a Regal 80mm complete with kit zoom and I also bought a 10 mm Baader Hyperion. Elsewhere in this forum the Celestron 20-60 zoom gets very good reports and I was wondering if anything is to be gained by fitting the 20-60 Baader zoom. I see very little difference at the same magnification between the Baader 10 mm and the Celestron - maybe a tad sharper but it's so little it could well be my eyes.:)

I haven't been able to use the scope for birding yet other wise I may have a better idea myself on the lens differences. Paul has mentioned in another post that the Celestron zoom has very good performance. I'd appreciate any input from others on this forum before spending out on a Baader zoom if there's no appreciable difference.

Thanks,

Dave.

The question should be whether or not the Baader will work with the Regal. I didn't go back through and re-read this thread before posting this. From what I remember I don't believe the Baader Hyperion zoom will fit on the scope. The Regal has that locking collar which allows for the 1.25 inch astro eyepieces to lock in place. The baader zoom needed threads for it to mount directly onto the Regal scope body. It has been awhile since I had the Baader zoom but I don't think it reached focus at all distances in the Regal if you just used it as a 1.25 inch astro eyepiece.

Of course I could be wrong.

;)

The Baader zoom has a 2" barrel which can be unscrewed. After removing the barrel then it could be screwed onto the older Celestron Ultima. The new Regal is a 1.25" fitting and Baader make a 1.25" barrel which screws into the zoom and this allows it to fit the Regal with no problem. As to whether it would reach focus or not I don't know. Would need to find someone who has tried or buy one from somewhere under the understanding that you can send it back if it doesn't work.

Paul.

Baader Zoom

Cheers Frank and Paul - I may just stick with what I've got for the time being. In any case it appears that for the best quality photo's it's the short end of the zoom (lowest magnification) that gets used.

My photographic lens experience tells me that lens performance tests usually show up bad imaging quality at the long end. I realise of course it's also dependant on the camera aperture if shooting through the scope lens. As an aside I seem to be getting very similar results (quality) whether I shoot through the scope lens or use a converter and shoot directly into the camera. The only thing I would say is that the latter method makes exact focusing slightly problematic unless the view screen of the camera is of the high definition type.

Anyway guys thanks once again, I've got a lot to learn. B :)

Dave.

Paul,

I actually had this combination, though it was some time ago. I do believe the Baader zoom would not reach focus at infinity with the 1.25 inch barrel installed. I would have to go back and re-read that thread I posted about the Regal F-Eds back in the spotting scope forum to verify.

It has been a few months now. If anyone else has got anymore Celestron Regal and camera combinations they could get sample pictures of that would be great. Will be investing in a new camera soon and I don't want to make the same mistake I did last time and get a camera that didn't work with my scope.

Here are some pictures of the Panasonic LS75, Regal 80 and Baader EP in action. Enjoy

Attachments

• Wood Pigeon 009N.jpg
    Wood Pigeon 009N.jpg
    256.5 KB · Views: 220
  • Flamingo 001N.jpg
    Flamingo 001N.jpg
    284.8 KB · Views: 271
  • Greenfinch 007N.jpg
    Greenfinch 007N.jpg
    261.2 KB · Views: 200
I'll be getting a 100 regal within the next couple of weeks that I plan on trying with a few of my compacts. I'll be sure to upload the results when I get it all sorted out.

Nikon P5100, Regal 80 F-ED and Baader EP

Just got this camera, used in program mode and here is a sample shot of a beanie lizard and a 100% because you people like that stuff. Only a small amount of vignetting appeared at zero zoom, a tiny flick of the zoom button got rid of this.

Attachments

• 333.jpg
    333.jpg
    235.3 KB · Views: 212
  • 100crop.jpg
    100crop.jpg
    287.4 KB · Views: 218
Good test shot; it looks like you'll get some good performance out of it. I'm sure the real field shots will look spectacular.

I probably won't be able to get my regal until next weekend but I'll post shots when I do. My wife has a canon elph 300hs (ixus 220hs) that she uses for her blog that will likely do the trick. The lens is not as good a quality as the 5100, though. It does have a nice focus preview, though.

Last edited:
Good test shot; it looks like you'll get some good performance out of it. I'm sure the real field shots will look spectacular.

I probably won't be able to get my regal until next weekend but I'll post shots when I do. My wife has a canon elph 300hs (ixus 220hs) that she uses for her blog that will likely do the trick. The lens is not as good a quality as the 5100, though. It does have a nice focus preview, though.

Any kind of camera test would be great since this is not a universally well used scope for digiscoping I am pretty sure people would appreciate how any camera functions with the Celestron Regal series :t:

I tried testing the P5100 in the garden today, hmm didn't go exactly as planned the birds go preoccupied with an unwelcome visitor who scared them into a tree with the most horrendous of lighting so I took a pic of the culprit instead just to see a sample of image quality.

I will take it out on the field sometime, the best photos I will be posting on the gallery and my blog and maybe here if it is helping people decide on which scope they choose.

Attachments

• Cat001.jpg
    Cat001.jpg
    199.3 KB · Views: 212
  • 100cropcat.jpg
    100cropcat.jpg
    245.7 KB · Views: 227
Have you tested the full zoom range on the camera? I know you indicated that there is no vignetting, but is that true throughout the full range?

Has your connection method changed or are you still using the Jackar > Baader 17mm eyepiece thread?

Have you tested the full zoom range on the camera? I know you indicated that there is no vignetting, but is that true throughout the full range?

Has your connection method changed or are you still using the Jackar > Baader 17mm eyepiece thread?

I am still using the Jackar > Baader 17mm eyepiece thread. At first I did have problems with vignetting at certain zoom levels but with the adaptor I have it allows me to extend the camera away from the eyepiece with a reverse lock ring, it took me a while to find the perfect distance but now hopefully I have found it (unless the camera changes its mind again) I have inlcuded three pictures at 0 zoom, half zoom and full zoom.

Also inlcuded an okay test shot of an house sparrow....was taken in poor light and at a shutter speed of 1/60

Attachments

• 0zoom.jpg
    0zoom.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 152
  • halfzoom.jpg
    halfzoom.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 132
  • fullzoom.jpg
    fullzoom.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 148
  • testnik.jpg
    testnik.jpg
    248.8 KB · Views: 233
I'm thinking to buy a Celestron Ultima ED 80, which is about as much as I wantto spend on a scope, and based on reviews.

I'd like to digiscope with it. I have a Canon SX30IS, which gets some quite good results at 35* zoom, even hand held, but I'd hope to do better digiscoping.

I have doubts as to whether I could get the Canon to work - any advice?

I could run to a Canon S70 as well - what threads etc would I need to buy?

Advice gratefully received.

ETA advice about any other cameras that would work with this scope would be appreciated too. Perhaps a cheap one with thoughts of replacing later?

David B

Last edited:
I'm thinking to buy a Celestron Ultima ED 80, which is about as much as I wantto spend on a scope, and based on reviews.

I'd like to digiscope with it. I have a Canon SX30IS, which gets some quite good results at 35* zoom, even hand held, but I'd hope to do better digiscoping.

I have doubts as to whether I could get the Canon to work - any advice?

I could run to a Canon S70 as well - what threads etc would I need to buy?

Advice gratefully received.

ETA advice about any other cameras that would work with this scope would be appreciated too. Perhaps a cheap one with thoughts of replacing later?

David B

I think you will have a lot of problems getting the Canon SX30IS to work....im not saying it wont but the general rule is to have a camera with a 3-4x optical zoom and have the lens around enough the same size of the eypiece of the scope.

I have owned a Celestron Ultima ED in the past aswell as the Canon S70.....if I can recall the Canon S70 worked okay with the ED, I dont think I had too much problem with vignetting as i did with using the Canon S70 with the Regal scope.

Personally though I found the Panosonic LS60 & LS75 to work great with the Ultima 80ED..I attached them using a universal digiscope adapter but at later stages, i think i swapped to using the thread on the scope if i can recall it uses one. The threads I used I have totally forgotten, I asked people thats all i remember

Two pictures below The Robin taken with the Ultima 80ED and Pano LS60 & The Dunnock taken with the Canon S70 and Ultima 80ED

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back