• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hen Harriers breeding (1 Viewer)

keith

No breeding this year in England, we know why, so why isn't there anything being done about it?, are some criminals above the law?.

Hen Harriers

We have had one successful pair in England, I'm not about to give any details about location but four young were moving further from the breeding area when I last saw them and what a wonderful sight.

I'm a regular visitor to the moors here in Derbyshire. We often comment that there should be Hen Harriers gracefully gliding across the moors. But alas they are empty. So sad.

I'm a regular visitor to the moors here in Derbyshire. We often comment that there should be Hen Harriers gracefully gliding across the moors. But alas they are empty. So sad.

In the UK the persecution of BoP's are having their desired effect over the UK if we want to hear it or not.

It needs people like us to stop the 'low lives' from destroying BoP sites, for whatever reason.

This whole situation is going to win, or fail us. We know what we need to do to protect Hen Harriers now and in the future.
Let our eyes do the talking, and the culprits do the walking. :C

Regards
Kathy
x

I think it's more of a moral issue than a political one.....how and why would or could somebody even think of persecuting these magnificent birds...they need to look within and question themselves first. same as these guys lining up in Cyrpus to take out anything with wings... Look in the mirror would be my advise to them but then I suppose they do and they're quite happy with what they see and that's what needs to change.

I hesitate to go political on BF (perhaps I'm mad) but surely no conservationist ever votes Tory? Discuss.

John

completely agree!! at the end of the day if conservation is to succeed the government has got to be completely behind it,investing money,time and effort in it and creating and ENFORCING legislation to protect wildlife both on land and sea.I for one have absolutely no confidence that this government is paying more than lip service to conservation. It is worrying as was said on another thread that so many of the ministers and officials in this government have such close ties to the game shooting industry, doesn't bode well for the future of the hen harrier in Britain!!
Saying that not sure the Labour party is anymore interested most of the parties seem to treat it as a sideshow!

I'm really angry about the situation, everybody knows the gamekeepers and their bosses are guilty as hell but people in power like to shoot grouse for enjoyment so they're above the law, it stinks!!.

I wonder how many bird people have actually wrote to any member of parliment over this issue, I have had some interesting letters from some members, I also had a long chat to william haigh at a country show near richmond, he seemed interested in the plight of these and other moorland birds and promised to look into it. I have had a reply from him but the contents cannot for now be disclosed, but at least he has started, and I also think its not just poloticians thats at fault, one or two so called protection organisations, could do more than at present (in my opinion)

I wonder how many bird people have actually wrote to any member of parliment over this issue, I have had some interesting letters from some members, I also had a long chat to william haigh at a country show near richmond, he seemed interested in the plight of these and other moorland birds and promised to look into it. I have had a reply from him but the contents cannot for now be disclosed, but at least he has started, and I also think its not just poloticians thats at fault, one or two so called protection organisations, could do more than at present (in my opinion)

The protection organisations try hard but don't have the resources that estate owners have, and suffer the same disadvantages as individuals with regard to access.

One of the problems is that those of us who care are in fact more law-abiding than the criminals engaged in BOP persecution, so nobody comes on here and says "hey, the Duke of Westminster has a huge shoot on this Sunday, why don't a few hundred of us go and disrupt it?" And if they did we wouldn't go.

You are right that its not just politicians that are at fault. Unfortunately many of those that might be regarded as the upper strata of the judiciary move in social circles that include shooting interests. Conflict of interest anyone?

John

completely agree!! at the end of the day if conservation is to succeed the government has got to be completely behind it,investing money,time and effort in it and creating and ENFORCING legislation to protect wildlife both on land and sea.I for one have absolutely no confidence that this government is paying more than lip service to conservation. It is worrying as was said on another thread that so many of the ministers and officials in this government have such close ties to the game shooting industry, doesn't bode well for the future of the hen harrier in Britain!!
Saying that not sure the Labour party is anymore interested most of the parties seem to treat it as a sideshow!

Agree with your statement but its a sad fact that while we still have the landed gentry sat in the house of lords this thing is allowed to go on.

Steve.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back