• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Best birding club logo? (1 Viewer)

John Cantelo

Another thread here sparked the thought - which is the best and most effective bird club go? Since large organisations such as the RSPB can afford paid, professional input, I'm really thinking of more 'home grown' logos sported by less commercial organisations (i.e. county/state clubs).

In my view a good logo should bold (so it can be easily recognised at a good range) and the nature of the organisation should be clear. Whilst I admire the cleverness of the West Midland Bird Club's logo, I don't think it quite 'does the job'. I'm biased, but for me one of the best (if not the best) is the Kent Ornthological Society's logo (see below),

Attachments

• WMB logo.gif
    WMB logo.gif
    6.7 KB · Views: 48
  • koslogoshad.jpg
    koslogoshad.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 44
Yes, the Durham Bird Club logo does look quite striking, but I think the overall design (inc. wording) is a bit unbalanced and hence, for me, it doesn't work so well. I think that the difficulty is that you have to look beyond the bird used (which may show a particular favourite) and focus on its design attributes.

I've taken the liberty of reproducing the DBC logo below so others can judge without searching on the web.

Edit - I see Adam has done so whilst I was faffing about!

Attachments

• Durham Bird Club Logo.png
    Durham Bird Club Logo.png
    7.8 KB · Views: 53
How about the Devon Birdwatching and Preservation Society logo. A Montys harrier, after Col Montague

5c1cd90f-09fc-38fc.jpg

Yes, the Durham Bird Club logo does look quite striking, but I think the overall design (inc. wording) is a bit unbalanced and hence, for me, it doesn't work so well.

I agree John, I'd actually forgot about the writing i was just thinking about the bird itself which is sometimes used just on its own.

John,
I rather like this one, but then I have a vested interest...;)
MJB

Attachments

• OSME sandgrouse logo.jpg
    OSME sandgrouse logo.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 50
John,
I rather like this one, but then I have a vested interest...;)
MJB

I agree - its one of my favourites too (and I have no vested interest whatsoever). It's bold, unfussy, dynamic and instantly recognisable. Some logos confuse illustration with design (if you know what I mean), OSME's sandgrouse is a near perfect example of the impact a good logo can make. No examples as yet from the USA, surely the home of 'branding' .......

I agree - its one of my favourites too (and I have no vested interest whatsoever). It's bold, unfussy, dynamic and instantly recognisable. Some logos confuse illustration with design (if you know what I mean), OSME's sandgrouse is a near perfect example of the impact a good logo can make. No examples as yet from the USA, surely the home of 'branding' .......

To be honest, to me that logo isn't "instantly recognisable". Maybe if I was familiar with the organisation I would find it recognisable, but as I'm not, the logo doesn't say anything to me. Does it normally come associated with their name or abbreviated version of their name?

Edit: just to add - the logo itself does say to me that this is about an organisation involved in some way with birds - research, club etc. But what I was hinting at above is that the logo on its own does not tell me WHO it represents. I'm sure I was aware of this and then saw the logo in isolation like above, then it would stand out, but on its own it doesn't shout out about who it represents, and surely that's one of the purposes of a logo? This could be argued against any logo of course...

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back