• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Yorkshire Birding (15 Viewers)

Great views yesterday of the Red-Rumped Swallow at RVCP

I got it on Saturday after dipping on Friday night. Got there at 7.50pm which gave me about five minutes to scan every swallow on the lake before the gates were locked, just couldn't pick it out, so went back on Saturday. Had very good, if distant, views.

Had a nice group of Bullfinches at Old Moor later that day :t:

The most confiding Hooded Crow I've ever seen in Yorkshire at Spurn today - full story & other birds on the blog!

Attachments

• 10-05-10HoodiePoint.jpg
    10-05-10HoodiePoint.jpg
    135.7 KB · Views: 69
I'm after Yorkshire sites for Pearl Bordered Fritillary and Dingy Skipper if anyone can assist.

Thanks.

All Yorkshire Wildlife Trust Sites:
PBF: Rarest resident Yorkshire Butterfly, so will have to send a PM
DS: Wharram Quarry with smaller numbers at Kiplingcotes Chalk Pit

Day off yesterday provided a pleasent walk up the river Foss from old earswick to strensall. Yellow wag and Corn buntings both great finds. Loads of blackcaps singing in the open.

Mark.

Iberian Chiffchaff at Potteric Carr. Far too many of these occurring for my liking!!

Off BG;
still singing at St. Catherine's Field at the end of Hawthorn Bank this afternoon; £3 entry for non YWT members. The reserve will be open later than normal but please call 01302 570077 for more information. The main car parks will still be locked at 17:00 so visitors should only use the overflow car park.

just seen the iberian chiffer. Quite scruffy mid brown with some colouration to the throat. It took a while to show but was singing the whole time

11.15am a Barn Owl posed amazingly close for the entire Tuesday am class
15.15pm - a Cuckoo gave the pm crowd a very close fly-past
Morning & pm - Yellow Wagtails performed very well

Attachments

• Barnie1.jpg
    Barnie1.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 62
  • cuckoo1.jpg
    cuckoo1.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 65
  • 10-05-10Yell5SC.jpg
    10-05-10Yell5SC.jpg
    143.7 KB · Views: 58
just seen the iberian chiffer. Quite scruffy mid brown with some colouration to the throat. It took a while to show but was singing the whole time

It's the scruffiest spring warbler I've ever seen. If this bird had been a Finch it would have been labelled with the escaped cagebird tag!

Went for the RR Swallow and Iberian chiffer today...got one of them.
Potteric first and heard the bird singing as we got to the area. Had to spend quite a while following the sound of the bird until it flew across the path from the scrub into a thorn bush. I'm sure it was the RSPB's Tim Melling who located the bird in the bush (if it wasn't then it was his double and I apologise Tim). No record shots though as it was too mobile, I'd get focused on the bird and it would move up, down, left or right... anything but stay f'n still!
After the obligatory bacon butty, they're still the best in the County, it was down to the Rother Valley for the swallow... we got loads of 'em but not one with a red ass! Should have been warned by it's absence on Birdguides this morning, the only entry was last night's sighting not uploaded till this morning.
At one point Ken and I were watching a flock of about 30 or more swifts circling upwards at a ridiculous height above the nature reserve lake. Couldn't make them out with the naked eye and they were just specs in the 10x bins, but they were still ascending. Must say that the great crested grebe at the country park are very quick to fly, saw total of 4 birds in flight today, more than I've seen in all my previous years of birding.

Can't seem to avoid Cuckoos at the moment. This one at a different location from yesterday's 2 birds.

Attachments

• ckoo498.jpg
    ckoo498.jpg
    220.2 KB · Views: 70

Users who are viewing this thread

Back