• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Spring is on the way? (1 Viewer)

Canada Goose and Mute Swan on nests down here - actually Mute Swan had 1 egg on the 25th.

Loads of Chiffchaffs, but not heard song for a while. Sand Martin numbers at the reservoir steadily declining (from 40 down to 10 now) - unfortunately suspect this could be due them succombing rather than moving on ... At least today was sunny and actually saw some midges whilst out and about.

You're lucky Dan, that you have seen midges this year. I don't think I've seen any insect of any description so far, what with it being so wet earlier and now so flippin' cold. It's not looking good. Normally at this time I would have seen the odd bumble bee, fly or may be a chance small tortoiseshell butterfly, but so far nothing.

Si.

It doesn't take much to get the midges going - in deepest darkest winter, just a glimpse of the sun is usually enough to bring them out.

Spring for me here in Missouri is when the Dark-eyed Juncos (aka. "snow birds") leave and the Chimney Swifts arrive. This generally takes place here on or about April 15th. (* We are still seeing Pine Siskins, Red-breasted Nuthatches and Red & White-winged Crossbills here in northwest Missouri.)

When I began this post nearly 2 months ago, I feel I spoke too soon. Winter has returned with a vengeance in the last 2-3 weeks. Birds have gone silent. No summer visitors as yet [ and who could blame them ] and redwings and fieldfares showing no sign of moving. Even buds on trees and hedges are holding back. I wonder what effects this bitter start to spring will have on native breeding birds this year if it persists?
We have awful weather that goes in cycles: about two days of snow, two days of very strong wind with higher temps so snow thaws, one day/morning of spring weather, two days of rain, then rain turns to snow again. So far we had two such cycles and the third is forecasted for next week :(

Migrants are arriving, as shown by numerous pictures my friends share on FB, taken mostly during the "spring day", but there are also pictures of flycatchers, blackcaps, wheatears, hoopoes on the bare ground between snow patches. I have no idea who will survive. My friends report that bird feeders are full again; greenfinches are dominant.

There are still waxwings in the park in another city where they were repeatedly reported. None here.

From my window I haven't heard blue or great tits singing in the last several days. Blackbird stopped after that first day. Crows are making their nest (in the periods when wind "sleeps" ) but it seems they have forced the magpies out of the area visible from my window. I have seen a buzzard several times, I guess it is nesting on the opposite side of the tree grove from the crows.

Heavy snow again predicted for tomorrow, Easter Sunday, in eastern Austria. The long and cold winter is taking a heavy tool on the little migrating birds. They are stuck here with the ground still frozen and covered with snow, and now more on the way! If this is what you call spring....well..I'll have none of it, thanks!

Migrants are arriving, as shown by numerous pictures my friends share on FB, taken mostly during the "spring day", but there are also pictures of flycatchers, blackcaps, wheatears, hoopoes on the bare ground between snow patches. I have no idea who will survive. My friends report that bird feeders are full again; greenfinches are dominant.

There are still waxwings in the park in another city where they were repeatedly reported. None here.
Last morning few folks from our local group made a trip to the other city to see waxwings, catching the "spring morning" :king: before the rain. They made a lot of photographs of waxwings, in addition to stonechat, black redstart and more wheatears. I wonder if waxwings would stay and breed? :eek!:

I see Austria is going to be hit with more snow on Sunday? It will probably reach us on Sunday/Monday night.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back