• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Death in California. (1 Viewer)

Chris D

Had a Scrub Jay catch and killer a Cedar Waxwing yesterday. Shocking! Other friends report similar events of late (really). I guess peanuts aren't enough.

Wow, that's an interesting thing to have witnessed. I have Scrub-jays in my backyard all year round; they squabble with sparrows and other species but I've never seen an actual attempt at predation of other adult birds. Young birds are another matter, though. An acquaintance has had Scrub-jays nest in her yard and on several occasions has seen the jays pop whole robin nestlings, still alive and squirming, into the gullets of their own young. As you say, it's not just peanuts.

Last edited:
I put this on my Facebook thingy and 2 friends said they had just seen Scrub Jays killing House Finches. I know it's breeding season - for the Jays. Perhaps the lady likes a treat? Trophy? - to get her in the mood..............

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back