• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

8x30 and 8x32 Roof prisms (1 Viewer)

Tero,

I am currently using the 8x36 Monarchs (an unusually good specimen) and the 8x32 FLs. Each has its own purpose but I enjoy using both. I am also waiting for those 8x32 Furys to finally debut so I can compare them to the other two.

I may be in the mood for another full size glass though. Maybe it is finally time to get a 10x42 or 10x50. ;)

Not that I am in any hurry, but I got interested in this format. Mainly as it has a good field of view. I am still basically a 10x guy, but use 8x part of the time.

So, just briefly, what are the models you have seen and how do they rate? Nikon Monarch optics (when you get a good unit out of a box, that is) would be fine for me, but not worse. I like the idea of a light and compact model with wide FOV, and the Monarch 8x36 is just too similar to my other 8x and 10x models for weight and other specs.

By the way, it will be up to a year before I buy any new major optics. Earliest in December. May have to pay lots of stuff before that. I have teenagers.
Get a Leica 8x32BN on E-bay. I guarantee it to be the best all around binocular you can buy. It is like a little jewel. Just gorgeous optics and fairly light and compact. Small enough to use for concerts and plays but just beautiful views of birds. They feel great in the hands also. I have had Monarch's and they are pretty good but compared to the Leica the view is flat and lifeless just nowhere near the contrast and color saturation. Please take my word for it you will not be sorry!

Dennis

Thanks, I am not really shopping for 8x32 right now.

I have the same problem as many: I like to buy new one to compare to the old one, then use my 30 days to check it out. Only then the old one is sold. So eBay generally does not work for me. Though I sell there.

Actually, I was looking for an 8x42. I was curious to see how bright a binocular I could get for under 300, in roofs. I sold my Nikon Action 8x40 mostly due to weight and bulk. They never went far out of town with me. Plus I do have a slight eye strain issue with most porros.

BUT, then I got caught up in the fov issue again. So I sent the first 8x42s back. A good candidate for bright would have been Bushnell Discoverer 8x42, but they are heavy..and rugged I presume.

I now have the earlier Eagle Optics SRT 8x32 and a new Bushnell Legend 8x32. Both are fairly comfortable and it is hard to pick one as better. The EO is slightly brighter, I would recommend it to anyone for a beginner bin you can use for several years and find 200 species.

The Bushnell is very close, I could not tell the brightness difference in good daylight. It also has a bigger sweet spot. I think it has a very slight pin cushion effect, which will not bother most people.

So, in effect, I have replaced 8x40 porros with 8x32s. My wife can use one or the other if I can get her interested in birding. So far she has been interested in big birds, cranes and Iceland.

Last edited:
So, now what? I'm pretty much done with looking for 8x for a while. maybe if a good deal comes by on a used high end bin, but not this year.

I am actually saving up for a scope, but in the binoculars, a really good 10x32 might be of interest. The trouble is that the fov is generally the same as in 10x42s. I would love to at least see the Fury
http://www.eagleoptics.com/index.asp?pid=4838

but someone else can check out the 8x32 Fury.

Last edited:
When you are ready to talk about scopes Tero then let me tell you about the little 65 mm Pentax ED.....:)

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back