• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Favorite bird song/call (1 Viewer)

Seatallen

Sort of a follow-on from the 'favorite bird name' thread.

I was just listening to a Red Kite calling as it flew over the garden. They're really vocal at the moment. It's such a beautiful sound and I think it's my very favorite bird call.

If I can have a runner-up as well it would be Willow Warbler. I love that falling cadence of notes.

What's yours?

Pinkfooted Goose by a mile for me, i can understand why people like things like Skylarks, Willow Warblers etc to remind them of summer but give me the winter any day.

The songs of Catharus thrushes, particularly Swainson's Thrush and Veery. I love the fluty, ethereal tone of the songs. Same with a number of other Turdidae, such as Brown-backed Solitaire.

I also love the Screaming Piha's various loud calls- I even have the main call as my ring tone :t: Probably tied with thrushes as my favorite, but for entirely different reasons.

EDIT: Wait, I thought of a third contender! Musician Wren... it sounds just like somebody walking down the street and whistling an aimless, jaunty tune.

Last edited:
Among NA birds:

Brown Creeper's syncopated song
White-eyed Vireo's song that sounds like a recording being played backwards
Upland Sandpiper's windy wolf-whistle
Varied Thrush

Jim

I'm with Dafi on the bubbling Curlew call and Rich with the cooing of Eiders.

Top for me though is Wood Warbler - just wish we got them round here.

The songs of Catharus thrushes, particularly Swainson's Thrush and Veery. I love the fluty, ethereal tone of the songs. Same with a number of other Turdidae, such as Brown-backed Solitaire
Have to go with Ovenbird on this, they really are the best. Amongst them, I think the Black-billed Nightingale-thrush is my favourite.

I also love the Screaming Piha's various loud calls- I even have the main call as my ring tone :t:.

Oh, you must be popular in public places! ;)

"What the HELL is that?!" - I can hear the people cry - whenever you get a call.

Skylark for me every time, a sunny day in Derbyshire, dry stone walls, and that magnificent song goes on and on, life doesn't get any better.
Oh and Dipper too, love their song and calls.

I love the triumph of enthusiasm over musicality of Sedge Warbler.... the true sound of spring for me.

Oh and that weird tweeeeeeezzzzzzzze noise that Swallows put on the end of their song.... for all the same reasons

For NA, it is hard to beat a Canyon Wren for me. Overall, I agree with Ovenbird and the Screaming Piha. I was deep in the upper Amazon Basin when I first heard one (and saw one), so it has great memories for me!

Orange-headed Thrush! A very long melidious whistle with its unique 'dying' posture. Beautiful, but dangerous--that's why people in Indonesia hunt this bird :(

Of my favourites - and often the favourite - on a calm, warm day and after waiting 20 mins for them to "forget me" - an enclave of Calandra Larks. Their wild imitations and unique self-composed notes - well, I could just put life on hold right there ;)

Apart from the sound itself, the enthusiasm, energy and stamina these have - slow motion wing beats and heads pointing at 45º - leaves me in awe.

Dead posh Skylarks!

I love the rich fluty tones of the Yellow Oriole so reminiscent of the Wet Tropics, and the incredibly loud and rich song of the Varied Honeyeater. I also love the ridiculous rising call of the Brush Cuckoo, the mournful song of the Cicadabird, and the deep liquid 'boob-boob-boob' of the Pheasant Coucal.

Topping all of these however has to be the remarkable vocal gymnastics of the Tooth-billed Catbird.

In Europe, i love the rich strident song of the Eurasian Wren (or whatever it's called this week).

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back