• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Northern England - Why no easterly winds? (1 Viewer)

wolfbirder

I appreciate this sounds a silly observation, but I have never known such a sustained period without any north-easterly or easterly winds.

Was really looking forward to Spurn this autumn, and day after day i check the 5 day forecast to plan a trip. Baffling?

Anyone else remember such a long period without wind from this direction? Is there a reason for such settled weather - settled in the sense of everything being SW this autumn.

I'm afraid it could be a sign of the times. We simply don't get the easterlies that were once guaranteed every atumn and winter of yesteryear...very sad; and how I wish for those winds of the 'good old days'.

John.

I am highlighting my embarrassing lack of understanding of weather systems John. I just wondered if this lack of easterlies may be due to global warning but I cannot see how wind direction is related to the global warming issue.

wolfbirder said:
I am highlighting my embarrassing lack of understanding of weather systems John. I just wondered if this lack of easterlies may be due to global warning but I cannot see how wind direction is related to the global warming issue.

I grew up in Northumberland, and believe me during some years it certainly felt like there were no easterlies. Make the best of the good seawatching north westerlies can produce....

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back