• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Dictionary. (1 Viewer)

hebog

Roofs, Poros, CA, ultravid, trinovid, sweetspot,etc,etc.Could all the experts on this site make up a stiky with all the binos jargon explained to us novices? Please.

Great idea. :t:

Unfortunately, I have not seen anything like this in the Bird Forum Binocular areas.

If no one objects, I would like to refer you to another online community that has something similar to what you are requesting.

Although not exactly in dictionary format or in alphabetical order, you might try the "Best of . . ." at the Cloudy Nights Binoculars forum. Ed Zarenski (EdZ), CN Binocular forum moderator, has assembled many threads, reports, and links on various binocular optic topics. You will find much in the "Best of . . ." entries--probably more than you can grasp in a two-minute read.

EdZ is also a participant in the Binocular forum here at Bird Forum. In fact, you will find many individuals with interests in binoculars participating in both Bird Forum and Cloudy Nights.

In my opinion,

(a) Bird Forum approaches binocular optics from a manufacturer perspective, while Cloudy Nights approaches binocular optics from a topic perspective.

(b) Bird Forum, located in the United Kingdom, has more European participants, while Cloudy Nights, located in the United States, has more American participants.

(c) Bird Forum is oriented towards terrestrial wildlife observing, while Cloudy Nights is more oriented toward astronomy observing.

(d) Roof prism binoculars are more popular with Bird Forum participants, while Cloudy Nights participants are more loyal to porro prism binoculars, particularly the larger (and heavier) binoculars used in binocular astronomy, such as the 50mm-100mm aperture sizes usually associated with the following magnification powers: 10x, 15x, 20x, and 25x.​

For me, the bottom line is both perspectives are important and keep my wildlife and astronomy interests well rounded in binocular optics and manufacturer models. :-O

. . .

Here is another suggestion I will leave with you: If you run across a term you are not sure of, feel free to send any of the regular forum participants a personal message asking them about the term. I have done this quite frequently with forum regulars, who usually direct me to a thread or link where the term is discussed at length.

--Bob
Kentucky, USA

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back