• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Tree Swallows and House Sparrows (1 Viewer)

pabluja

I have a tree swallow apparently interested in my birdhouse (intended for bluebirds) but it appears there is competition with a house sparrow. The tree swallow keeps sitting on my deck and calling for a mate and then flies over to the birdhouse goes inside to claim it as his. But then the house sparrow also goes in side and will sit looking out until I chase him away. I looked inside and there is a nest started but I don't know who is building the nest. I'll keep tabs on it to see if the tree swallow wins. I hope.

I have no use for the house sparrow and back aways I removed my platform feeder I had with mixed seeds in it so as to discourage the house sparrow from staying around my yard. This is the first year I have had a house sparrow visit my yard. There appears to be only one or (at least a very limited number).

Any suggestions on how to help out the tree swallow will be welcomed.

"intended for bluebirds"

aren't they all

they have some metal rings you can nail at the hole to keep it small, but I only have luck with wrens, not other small birds

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back