• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

SX40 Super Zoom (2 Viewers)

Does anybody know if it's possible to add a comment (voice or in written form) to a photo taken with the SX40? I'm asking because I try to learn the species at guided tours of plants and mushrooms and think it could be helpfull to assign the correct names to the images.

Steve

Just noticed on my SX40 on one of the Scene modes it says the camera takes a clip with each shot to make a days summary , i havent tried this but it sounds to be what your looking for .

Just in case you may still be thinking about buying a Cannon SX40HS
The todays special value on QVC UK [shopping channel]
is the Cannon Powershot SX40HS for £311.88 or 3 instalments of £103.96.

This is until midnight tonight or until it sells out. With QVC you can use it for up to 30 days and if you dont like it you send it back to them and get your money refunded apart from the postage.
Here is a link

http://www.qvcuk.com/ukqic/qvcapp.aspx/view.2/app.detail/params.item.501545.cm_scid.KeywordSearch

NB the price has now gone up to £377.50 as it only is Todays special value for one day only, then after that is its normal selling price.

Last edited:
I have tried out one or two cameras from QVC and sent them back because they werent what i was looking for , ive now got the SX40 which is just what i was looking for , i bought mine for £309.99 so the QVC price is very good especially since you can use it , put it through its paces , and even pay for it in 3 easy payments , NO BRAINER !!

The QVC price is very competitive as according to 'Camera Price buster' apart from Pixmania (£302) the cheapest UK price is Amazon at £317 post paid.

ditch the wife and get it NO BRAINER :t:

Married 32 years and she will get a good pension - I will get nowt, so going to stick with her for the time being I reckon. :t:

I still might sneakily get the camera and have it delivered elsewhere. hehe

Last edited:
There is 5% cash back (not guaranteed, but likely) if you purchase online from QVC via the TopCashBack website. You need to be a TopCashBack member, which is free to join. I've been with them for 2-3 years and have received £300 in cash back to date.

Attachments

• 20120505_195127_.JPG
    20120505_195127_.JPG
    63.4 KB · Views: 86
It always worth checking out QVC for cameras, they seem to have them as a TSV about every 6 weeks and always seems to be on a Saturday as well.

They had the Fuji HS30 as TSV in March when they were selling it for £359.

Walking around this morning , noticed loads of young swallow flying around , this one was having a rest , it was about 20-30 feet away , i zoomed in on it this is the result , no photo shopping just cropped , not bad eh ? this Sx40 is a great camera .

Attachments

• Young Swallow resting a.jpg
    Young Swallow resting a.jpg
    184.4 KB · Views: 401
Last edited:
Walking around this morning , noticed loads of young swallow flying around , this one was having a rest , it was about 20-30 feet away , i zoomed in on it this is the result , no photo shopping just cropped , not bad eh ? this Sx40 is a great camera .
Pretty good result :t: now lets see one in flight ;)

I had the SX40HS around my neck on a trip to the wetlands last week and grabbed these two shots.
The main advantage of the SX40HS over the Nikons is the Image Stabilisation. In the Canon it's excellent , in the Nikon it doesn't work as intended. It's amazing with the SX40 to hand hold at 840 mm and shoot a video and it's rock steady. With the Nikon I have to shoot it on a tripod.
Neil

Attachments

• plain prinia breeding sx40hs IMG_1274.jpg
    plain prinia breeding sx40hs IMG_1274.jpg
    158 KB · Views: 327
  • sunrise MP sx40hs IMG_1263.jpg
    sunrise MP sx40hs IMG_1263.jpg
    133.3 KB · Views: 239
Just in case you may still be thinking about buying a Cannon SX40HS
The todays special value on QVC UK [shopping channel]
is the Cannon Powershot SX40HS for £311.88 or 3 instalments of £103.96.

This is until midnight tonight or until it sells out. With QVC you can use it for up to 30 days and if you dont like it you send it back to them and get your money refunded apart from the postage....

And it was that QVC broadcast that grabbed my attention when they compared the max (apparent) zoom of the SX40 with Canon's current longest EF lens, i.e. an EF 800 F5.6L. My longest EF lens is the EF 500 F4L IS which I normally use on a 1D III or on a 50D, and supported by a heavy tripod and gimbal head.

So I did some research and found this thread, and then found a "used" model offered by LCE. It arrived two days ago, and I've been busy getting to understand how a Super Zoom Compact works. I've been very pleased with some of my results, (hand held at max zoom) and less so with the unfamiliar interface, which I'm gradually getting to understand. I've also tried the video and on general subjects, such as wind blown foliage, and ripples on the local pond, it's OK. However, it's quite disappointing on fast trains, and to my surprise, even slow moving canal boats show jitter - I'll stick to my camcorders for those sorts of subject.

I'll give it more testing this next few days, as I'm off to Norfolk & Suffolk, and hope to visit some bird reserves.

And it was that QVC broadcast that grabbed my attention when they compared the max (apparent) zoom of the SX40 with Canon's current longest EF lens, i.e. an EF 800 F5.6L.
I will be interested on what you think of it when using in the field Malcolm. BTW the 840mm includes (and is calculated by) the crop factor of the Camera so using a Canon 800/5.6 on your 50D would give you 1280mm reach when calculated in the same way (mind you the SX40 is even cheaper than a MKIII converter let alone the price of DSLR telephoto lenses).

Hi Malcolm

I did report some posts way back that video on the SX40 could not handle fast moving objects, they became blurs. Also this is not a fault, it is a failing recognised by Canon and is mentioned in the Sx40 manual. I do not think the Panasonic FZ150 has this problem. If the subjects are slow moving or still the video is excellent.

I rather think this may be something to do with the sensor used and may be fixed on the next incarnation of the SX40.

Robert

What I don't like with this camera is the flimsy small plastic wheel at the back one has to use for manual focussing. It's not easy to avoid accidental pressing of one of the four positions for other functions this wheel has.

Steve

I'll give it more testing this next few days, as I'm off to Norfolk & Suffolk, and hope to visit some bird reserves.

I used the SX40 HS exclusively for around a week both on a tripod and hand held, and have now got round to doing some comparisons with my normal birding gear, a 50D attached to an EF 500 F4L IS. Quite a difference in size! There's simply no way that I would have been comfortable carting my normal gear around Orford Ness on a fully subscribed conducted tour, as we were last Friday, so the SX40 did well, and captured decent shots of a brown hare.

I've also included a screen capture showing that the angles of view are very similar. Of course, what is different is the depth of field, shown very clearly in the foliage behind the chimney. What is puzzling is that both shots show similar sharpness at the 100% pixels level, and I'm now wondering what magic Canon have incorporated into the lens of the SX40 HS so that fluorite elements aren't needed! (Or perhaps ED/UD glass has now been improved to quite a high level...?)

I'm still struggling with the "strange-to-me" camera interface, and I'll be surprised if I can do half-decent birds-in-flight with the SX40. But others do quite well, so there's a new challenge.

Attachments

• 22623%20DSLR%20versus%20SX40.jpg
    22623%20DSLR%20versus%20SX40.jpg
    165.3 KB · Views: 202
  • Angle%20of%20view.jpg
    Angle%20of%20view.jpg
    206 KB · Views: 223
  • 0551acsp Hare.jpg
    0551acsp Hare.jpg
    255.3 KB · Views: 196
Although I liked the look and feel of the P510, I was not prepared to take a punt on a product which has received remarkably little interest from BF users considering the fact that it has such a powerful zoom.

I've been using the P500 for a few months now and look forward to putting the 42x zoom of the P510 through its paces in a year or so when they are virtually giving them away ;-)

I'm no expert, but I can't really see why the Nikon's appear to have fallen by the wayside.

Seriously, the attached images were all taken with a P500, hand held using full zoom and I am more than happy with the results. Take a good look and tell me where Nikon are going wrong?

AndyM

Attachments

• DSCN5524.jpg
    DSCN5524.jpg
    245.5 KB · Views: 234
  • DSCN5372.jpg
    DSCN5372.jpg
    290.8 KB · Views: 206
  • DSCN5175.jpg
    DSCN5175.jpg
    316.6 KB · Views: 218
Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back