• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

BWPi v2.0 on iMac (1 Viewer)

Colin Key

BANNED HERE, AND MANY OTHER FORUMS
I have run BWPi v1.0 on my PC since it was published without any problems, and also added the 2006 up-date. I recently took advantage of Birdguides offer to trade in my v1.0 and 2006 up-date discs for the single BWPi v2.0.

I have been trying to install this on my new iMac with disastrous results. The data loads onto Mac HD OK and I can register the product with my old details, but the program will not run. There are problems with the data paths on the Mac and the program cannot find the data files. I am receiving help from Birdguides Support (Pete Ellison is very quick to respond) but the initial suggestions still do not work.

Is there anyone else out there running BWPi (v1.0 or 2.0) on a Mac, did you have problems and, if so, how did you resolve them.

Although I am an experienced PC/Windows user I am still finding it rather difficult to "intuitively" suss what is going on with the Mac. Any help or suggestions welcome.

Colin

BWPi on a Mac...

Colin Key said:
I have run BWPi v1.0 on my PC since it was published without any problems, and also added the 2006 up-date. I recently took advantage of Birdguides offer to trade in my v1.0 and 2006 up-date discs for the single BWPi v2.0.

I have been trying to install this on my new iMac with disastrous results. The data loads onto Mac HD OK and I can register the product with my old details, but the program will not run. There are problems with the data paths on the Mac and the program cannot find the data files. I am receiving help from Birdguides Support (Pete Ellison is very quick to respond) but the initial suggestions still do not work.

Is there anyone else out there running BWPi (v1.0 or 2.0) on a Mac, did you have problems and, if so, how did you resolve them.

Although I am an experienced PC/Windows user I am still finding it rather difficult to "intuitively" suss what is going on with the Mac. Any help or suggestions welcome.

Colin
Colin
You certainly seem fated with your Mac experiences!

I have BWPi v1.0 which I have installed on both a G4 tower and the Intel Core Duo MacBook, on which I'm typing this reply and had and have had, absolutely no problems whatesoever with either install. As I don't have version 2.0 I can't comment on any differences - it seems unlikely that a simple upgrade would have made any significant differences to where data is stored; I'd never bothered to look, as it just works, but when I check the install on my MacBook, I see that it has installed on the top level of my user account, rather than where it should be in the Applications folder. It has installed 2 folders an APP and a DATA folder within the BWPi folder.

Hope this helps - and stick in with the Macs, as someone who's used PCs since the days of CPM v MSDOS alongside Macs I know which I prefer and once you've got used to the differences in terminology between the two systems I think you'll find things much easier.

Without going over old ground re. monitors, I can see where you are coming from re. text display on iMac monitors, but I have to say comparing my Sony Vaio laptop running Vista with the MacBook on OSX, I can't see any difference re. screen quality and the build quality of the Mac, and the elegance and efficiency of OSX the MacBook is a greatly superior product.
Just my opinion of course.....

John Fleet

Last edited:
John Fleet said:
Colin
You certainly seem fated with your Mac experiences!

I have BWPi v1.0 which I have installed on both a G4 tower and the Intel Core Duo MacBook, on which I'm typing this reply and had and have had, absolutely no problems whatesoever with either install. As I don't have version 2.0 I can't comment on any differences - it seems unlikely that a simple upgrade would have made any significant differences to where data is stored; I'd never bothered to look, as it just works, but when I check the install on my MacBook, I see that it has installed on the top level of my user account, rather than where it should be in the Applications folder. It has installed 2 folders an APP and a DATA folder within the BWPi folder.

Hope this helps - and stick in with the Macs, as someone who's used PCs since the days of CPM v MSDOS alongside Macs I know which I prefer and once you've got used to the differences in terminology between the two systems I think you'll find things much easier.

Without going over old ground re. monitors, I can see where you are coming from re. text display on iMac monitors, but I have to say comparing my Sony Vaio laptop running Vista with the MacBook on OSX, I can't see any difference re. screen quality and the build quality of the Mac, and the elegance and efficiency of OSX the MacBook is a greatly superior product.
Just my opinion of course.....

John Fleet

Thanks for your response John; as I type this (on my Vaio) I am currently reinstalling the BWPi data onto my iMac and hope to have another bash at getting it going tonight. I must say that the iMac looks absolutely gorgeous on my desk, and I am beginning to get a "feel" for the darned thing, but it has not been without problems. Apparently, installing BWPi on a Mac is not always straightforward. I did receive my copy of Photoshop Elements for Mac today and, whoopee, it installed and worked first time.

I still maintain that the Vaio screen is the best, and superior to the Mac for both text and images (I am looking at both now and there is no comparison), but I suppose it is like getting a new pair of spectacles - they take a while to "grow on you".

Like you, I've been with 'puters from the beginning: mainframes the size of houses and requiring punch-cards for data input, BBC Basic programming, MS DOS, etc., so I suppose we shouldn't complain.

Colin :hi:

Well, I didn't exactly do it "all on my own", but I did manage to work out a solution to the initial problem but then encountered another hitch in that the distribution maps would not load (it turned out to a problem with a new version of Quick Time which my iMac had downloaded).

I must say, the support from Birdguides is EXCELLENT and Pete Ellison in particular is fantastic; his responses are quick, easy to follow, and he knows what he is talking about.

Full marks from me. :D

Colin

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back