• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

SOS on birdnest and cat (1 Viewer)

vermdice

some tiny bird decided to nest in my girlfriend's birdhouse on a post with welcome sign on it a few weeks back.

its been returning to the bird house throughout these few weeks.

tonight we heard a thud. upon investigating the noise...we both discovered the birdhouse and post it is nailed to had fallen forward. my girlfriend chased a black cat away that was sitting at the far side of our front yard. (we now have our alaskan malimute in the front yard on guard duty).

i gingerly propped the bird house forward ..being careful not to get my hands near the 3 tiny port holes where the bird usually enters.

i flashed a small light at center port hole briefly and discovered several live babies moving around in the nesting inside.

I anchored the birdhouse and post to the rail and up on the wall with small rope, so now it can no longer fall in any direction.

i didn't see the mother bird around anywhere and was curious if the adult mothers (small bird of unknown type) in general leave the nest at night or sleep with the babies?

i'm hoping the mother hasn't abandoned the live babies completely as there is not much else i can do about it other than securing the birdhouse as i did.

let me know any facts on this situation from your expertise just for my own education in this situation :news: this is the last thing i'd thought i'd be doing tonight. :h?:

sounds good to me. i didn't imprint the babies since they are all moving around inside the nesting, so the mom should be back later.

we'll see how it goes. thanks for the link.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back