• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Banding Birds (1 Viewer)

Chickadeedeedee

Hi!

I was looking through my Audubon Field Guide yesterday. and noticed many of the photographed birds were banded with metal leg bands.

Is this good for them? While many areas do not get sub-freezing temperatures ... many do. I know I personally cannot wear earrings when the temps are below freezing. The metal gets soooo cold it burns!

What of the birds? That metal on their leg has to get frightfully cold. Does it damage their skin? Would not plastic be nicer ... more comfortable? More humane? Just wondering out loud.

In Ohio we avoid feeders with metal perches in winter so wet feet do not freeze to the perches causing problems. Are their any studies of metal vs plastic bands done that you know of?

I found this on the net, Lydia...

Will birds’ feet stick to metal perches in winter?

A bird’s feet sticking to a perch is an extremely rare event. Birds do not have sweat glands on their feet, so they do not have the problem that people would have putting a wet finger or tongue on a freezing cold metal object. The only way a bird’s feet would stick is if they were standing on a perch during freezing rain, and the rain froze around their feet. In the remote chance that happens, pouring cool or lukewarm water on their feet is the best way to thaw the ice.

I guess the bands wouldn't be a problem either, they are very light metal.

Thanks Val.

I was thinking the feet would stick if the bird had just been standing in the snow and were wet that way. Had not thought of freezing rain.

I remember years ago researchers were putting bright orange bands around the necks of Canada Geese. They soon noted other geese shunned the banded ones so I think they stopped doing it that way.

Sorry, I don't know any answers, Lydia. Thinking about it, I wear stud earrings even when the temperature falls below freezing and the metal stays warm because of the warmth of me. I wonder if it is the same for birds?

No need for apologies. The field guide had lots of the various birds with bands. Many were ducks in water. I was just wondering if the bands get irritating when it is the dead of winter.

As if there isn't enough to worry about ... I need to add to the list. LOL!

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back