• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Help Required (1 Viewer)

Lord Muck

Fortune does not change men, it unmasks them.
Hey Guys,
I have a 2013 Celestron Regal M2 80mm Spotting Scope, and a Baader Hyperion 17mm Eyepiece, and after being brought out of my cupboard after 6 months of hibernation, and setting up the Spotting Scope on my tripod, I attempted to attach the BH 17mm to the back of the Spotting Scope, after removing the original zoom eyepiece. No such luck, the BH 17mm just would not slide in. Any ideas..?
Ive used this combination in the past, and know its a good fit, but can't for the life of me get the BH 17mm to attach it self to the back of my Spotting Scope :(

The Celestron Regal has a locking collar,with a brass compression ring.If the collar is not loose enough ,the compression ring can be a bit closed,and prevent the eyepiece to go in,even if the zoom was able to slip off...just rotate the collar a few times and push gently on the brass ring to make sure is not jammed or stuck closed...its a very simple fit and has to work ...Good Luck

The Celestron Regal has a locking collar,with a brass compression ring.If the collar is not loose enough ,the compression ring can be a bit closed,and prevent the eyepiece to go in,even if the zoom was able to slip off...just rotate the collar a few times and push gently on the brass ring to make sure is not jammed or stuck closed...its a very simple fit and has to work ...Good Luck

Many thanks Mayoayo for your suggestion.
Ive tried loosening the black metal collar screw and tried gently inserting the BH 17mm, but to no avail. Im wondering if the inner silver thread is stuck, as I think it should "give" a little to allow the nose of the BH 17mm to pass by it. I'll keep trying over the next few days to see if I can get the eyepiece in. As I mentioned in my original post, its been in before, and gave really bright and wide views, compared to the Celestron zoom eyepiece. Ive also noticed the nose of the BH 17mm looks slightly wider than the nose of the Celestron eyepiece or it could be my eye sight, lol.

Now that i think about it ,I remember having some issues too removing and inserting eyepieces,but never to the point of not being able to do it..maybe the slight amount of lubricant (traces of grease of oil)would help...also try to rotate the eyepiece while you push.this motion would help to open the ring...again,good luck..

you can't unscrew the bottom of the baader either as it has a piece of glass [neg lens if i remem.] try unscrewing the bottom element & put it inot the freezer -the cold may help a little [don't leave it too long -jus t get cool]
other thing you can do is hit the back of the scope with a hairdryer..i try & avoid lube in spotting scope with rear prism..an astro scope is diff as there is nothing there

The scope is well sealed for moisture,and the compression ring is far away to any glass surface ,so a minimum amount( note i used the word traces,to exaggerate ) of grease rubbed on the compression ring ,might eliminate friction and help to slip the eyepiece in place with no danger of damaging the scope..NOW..Blowing HOT Air onto the scope rear is something I would never do,and this should be avoided in my opinion...any amount of heat that would suffice to make the brass ring to expand,is likely enough heat to damage optical coatings, rubber seal or armor

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back