• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What's your favourite bird name? (1 Viewer)

On non bird front (and slightly off topic) possibly the most descriptive UK moth name - The Uncertain with the Clouded Drab a close second.

Was going to comment on the moths too. Lead-coloured Drab gets my vote as the most unexciting moth name ...

But (and probably deserves it's own thread), some of those moths named by those Victorian entomologists ... :eat:

The Alchymist, The Anomalous, Argent and Sable, The Annulet ... and that's just the 'A's ... ;)

Last edited:
Well, after spending Christmas in Ethiopia - my wife's is not (fond of) the Marabou Stork. Freaked her out. Pitty.

I always have to go with the funky Western Scrub Jays at my house - as boring as that sounds. Lewin's Honey Eaters made a strong impression when I've been around them.

Yeah. I had a few beers in me. Missed the part of her not liking them. Thankfully someone (Chris B) saw my error. Damn, I love the English!..............

Last edited:
I've always liked the sound of Satyr Tragopan while Gould's Jewelfront and Tourmaline Sunangel are two of the best names for Hummingbirds - although I think whoever came up with Bearded Coquette needs to get out more often.
Chris

Thanks, Chris, I had a good laugh at your comment.

I suppose my favourite bird name is Polla Blava, which is the Catalan name for the purple swamphen. I think that it translates into English as "blue chicken." The name always reminds me of my holidays in Catalunya and, especially, the Ebro Delta.

Allen

Another favorite is Paltry Tyrannulet.

Or Poultry Tyrannulet as one of our party called it. Well it was near a chicken farm!

Fujian Niltava. I use it as a term of expression e.g. Fujian Niltava, did you see that!!!

Golden Oriole - what can I say?

Brent Goose - obviously named after David Brent.

Flappet Lark.

Rufous-sided Towhee - to the tune of The Conga

Spangled Drongo
Hoary Puffleg
Intermediate Egret

I quite enjoy mixing names up too:

Reeded Beardling (Bearded Reedling)
Watford Daubler (Dartford Warbler)

Last edited:
Some of the Asian bird names sound like odd middle/upper class girls names. I can just imagine a mother shouting down the garden in rural Oxfordshire 'Sibia, Niltalva, your supper's ready....'

Fulvetta also sounds like a girls name although it does sound a bit 'vaginary'.

Cheers, Andy.

Two more names that I like:
Juan Fernandez Firecrown
Masafuera Rayadito

and there some great ones from Hawaii, perhaps the best being Akohekohe (I've not checked the spelling!)

cheers, alan

Some of the Asian bird names sound like odd middle/
upper class girls names. I can just imagine a mother
shouting down the garden in rural Oxfordshire 'Sibia,
Niltalva, your supper's ready....'

Agree! There's some girly names too like Yuhina, Shama, Tesia, Shikra etc.

Sometimes, i'm thinking about some nice bird scientific name that maybe i can use it for my future child's name. Well, let's say.. Nectarinia, Philentoma, Pitta, Sterna, Rallina, Muscicapa, Locustella, Peregrina, Egretta, and many more!

Happy Wren and Sad Flycatcher

I also like names with oddly specific colors... Sepia-capped Flycatcher, Henna-hooded Foliage-Gleaner, Burnished-buff Tanager

I rather like the evocative (or just weird) furnariid names... woodhaunter, treehunter, xenops, tuftedcheek, earthcreeper, Fire-wood gatherer, hornero, canastero, etc.

And many Australian/New Zealand bird names are a riot, many of them escape me right now, but Willie Wagtail, Weebill, and kookaburra come to mind.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back