• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

No Playback/'Tape luring'! (1 Viewer)

You guys would totally freak out if you bird in the USA! Here many, many birders use recorded calls, usually just so they can add a bird to their year list.
I'm glad to hear that at least this aspect of American culture has not been completely assimilated into British culture.
Jeff
Cypress, Texas

When working for regional or national conservation organisations in Central Europe, the issue of tape-luring is simple and clearly stated. Rail counts (Black, Spotted Crakes, Water Rail) reveal many more males than without tapes, but run the tape only when no-one else is around, and only for the prescribed periodicity and frequency. It boils down to prescribed maxima per timed transect section.

I thought that Black Rail was a North American species. A good find! ;)

You guys would totally freak out if you bird in the USA! Here many, many birders use recorded calls, usually just so they can add a bird to their year list.
I'm glad to hear that at least this aspect of American culture has not been completely assimilated into British culture.
Jeff
Cypress, Texas

Jeff
bird in the USA ! outrageous suggestion ;)
Geoff

Perhaps they just haven't all got smart phones yet. I think with the relatively sudden availability of calls on a device that you always have with you means that the use of playback will inevitably increase.

I suspect that its use is addictive in that when you find that it makes a species appear, it creates an urge to try it again with the next one, to hurry things up.

Without definite proof either way of whether it's harmful to birds or not, there's no doubt that it's annoying to birders. I believe that it shouldn't be used where others may hear it unless you ask first, and that you should stop if asked, even if you think it's helping or harmless.

Perhaps they just haven't all got smart phones yet. I think with the relatively sudden availability of calls on a device that you always have with you means that the use of playback will inevitably increase.

I suspect that its use is addictive in that when you find that it makes a species appear, it creates an urge to try it again with the next one, to hurry things up.

Without definite proof either way of whether it's harmful to birds or not, there's no doubt that it's annoying to birders. I believe that it shouldn't be used where others may hear it unless you ask first, and that you should stop if asked, even if you think it's helping or harmless.

Three excellent and well articulated points, thank you. I agree, but would have taken three times as many words to make the same points!

Three excellent and well articulated points, thank you. I agree, but would have taken three times as many words to make the same points!
Thanks for that! Having received that encouragement, I'll go on a less succinct rant.

I'd also like to add that although I use playback very, very rarely, there have been occasions where I've asked others in the vicinity if they mind if I use it, and have been surprised to receive enthusiastic encouragement. I've never had a refusal, but that may be because I've been very careful about guessing what the reception might be.

On an almost unrelated note, I've been surprised how many people are very unfamiliar with the calls of common birds, and who have been very grateful when I can quickly find the call of a bird we're looking for, or which I've just heard, and play it to them (not to the bird) so they know what to listen for.

I assume this unfamiliarity has come from the difficulty in accessing bird calls until recently. In this country at least, calls were only available on cassette until perhaps10 years ago (guessing, I came in after the CD era began). This meant carrying large sets of tapes around, and then fast forwarding by trial and error to the species concerned. It was only for the truly dedicated.

Even after CDs became available, only the dedicated bothered to go through the process of changing the CD and looking up which track number to play. Then people started ripping them to mp3 and putting them on their mp3 players - iPods, etc. Still very hard to access because mp3 players were designed for playing whole albums, or random selections, not jumping straight to track 537 of 1093, let alone finding a track by name (if you'd even managed to name them all).

It was only the introduction of mp3 playing phones with keyboards and touch screens that finally let people find the right track quickly without effort, on a device with a built in speaker. I'd say this happened only in the last 5 years, and I've noticed that it's becoming increasingly common to find that people have all the local calls in their pocket. The release last year of an Australian field guide app with lots of calls, for a fraction of the price of a a full set of call CDs, means accessibility has exploded here.

With this sudden availability will inevitably come vastly increased use of playback. I'm of the opinion that it simply doesn't matter whether it's harmful or not, so long as very few people are doing it. Soon, if not already, lots of people will be doing it, so it will matter a lot.

There are very few guidelines for the uninitiated about playback, other than "Just don't do it", or "Be careful about it". I guess birding groups baulk at the idea of giving instructions for using playback, but these might no longer suffice.

Summary: If you think it's bad now, wait till not just every single birder has playback at their fingertips 24/7, but also lots of vaguely interested members of the public. What can be done?

Summary: If you think it's bad now, wait till not just every single birder has playback at their fingertips 24/7, but also lots of vaguely interested members of the public. What can be done?

Indeed, what can be done? Offhand, I can't think of anything likely to be effective in the short term or maybe even in the long term. Perhaps "playback for the masses" is destined to become yet another unstoppable unmitigate-able "evil of industrialization" (if you've been following the Sushil Yadav thread)! ;)

Last edited:
I'm not sure there's much likelihood of a plague of tape luring. I mean, people have known about pishing for ages, but one doesn't find masses of birders hissing enthusiastically at the bushes, on the average outing (does one?). Well, maybe one does, but I've never noticed it. I have a feeling there'll be a few people abusing tape playback mightily, another set of people using it more or less judiciously, and a vast majority not bothering, at all. (But I could be way off the mark. I don't see that many birders in my area, so I'm not sure how good or bad general etiquette is.)

I know that the thread started with a note on photography. However, I think it would be appropriate to again argue that we should all be doing birding (satisfied with a good hearing of a bird) rather than necessarily bird watching (only happy if we see the bird well). If we can be happy with hearing the bird, then there is no reason to attract it so close for most of us.

Niels

It's allready illegal in Spain in reserves - been on other threads on here.

I would also bet that the countryside act could cover tape luring of certain species arund nest areas.

There is an american website with guidelines on the subject. It does also refer to affecting breeding of couples subjected to regular playback.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back