• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Are you able to tell (1 Viewer)

binfield

I use an ED scope , I have done for the few years I have been birding. I know we are told by manufactures that ED glass is far better but is it really that much better than standard glass ?. Today I used a scope with standard glass in quite dull conditions and was quite surprised at how good the view was. Viewing the same object in the same light there was not that much difference , the colour was slightly better with the Ed glass but apart from that no real big noticeable difference. I would be interested in others views on ED vs non ED .

I have used Kowa 821 and 823 scopes 821 non ED and 823 ED. Believe me I could tell the difference between them, so much so I have never considered going back to non-ED.
Now use an Opticron HR 80 ED scope and got chance to use the old Classic 75 scope (non ED) recently, talk about chalk and cheese. The low light performance with an ED scope is brilliant, I have sometimes taken my eye away from the eyepiece and thought that night had fallen quickly.

Last edited:
Yes you are if operating under trying conditions, glare, dull cloud, end of the day, etc.
Except for Swarovski, and Kowa it seems most manufacturers take more care with the ED scopes during assembly.
They seem to be just a bit better put together.
Just my opinion, all my scopes except for a Leupold are ED/HD, the Leupold is visibly darker than the HD version.
Art

Even if is a "top" non ED glass scope, CA is going to be a problem abobe 40x, just to say one thing

you can make a bad ED glass scope, it could still have a myriad of optical issues which a really good non ED scope doesnt have , at low power sometimes it can he hard to tell & depending on the contrast diff. when viewing

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back