• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

eyepiece query (1 Viewer)

normanmc

Hi All. I have a Celestron 100 ultima spotting scope with the 22-66 zoom can I put any other eye pieces on the scope, I would like to go down range. If so any recommendations Thank you.

Can you elaborate on what you mean by "down range"? Wider field of view? Less zoom? Fixed eyepieces can be found for reasonable prices that will perform much better than the zoom that comes with it.

The celestron ultima can use the Baader Hyperion zoom,granting the same magnification as the zoom you now own, but a wider field of view at all magnifications..so much wider than it competes ,and surpasses (70°@ 8 mm) many fixed power eyepieces with a wide field..But is not a cheap eyepiece.
Now...When you say "going down range"..Does it mean that you need less magnification?.keep in mind that when using your zoom the 22x is granted at 24mm, and 66x at 8mm..so..less mm in the eyepiece,more magnification...the multiplication of the number of magnifications by the eyepiece focal,gives the total focal lenght of the scope...the celestron then has a focal lenght of 528mm...Typically astronomy eyepieces in the ultima configuration,1 1/4 inch,dont go much more lower than 24 mm..maybe 30mm or some specialty eyepieces designed for photography can reach a maximum of 40 mm(remember high mm equals low power)to grant super lowpower and high eye relief...that type eyepiece ,like for instance the Maxview 40mm,would grant 13 power in the ultima 100..with a massive field and a super bright 7.6 mm exit pupil..basically like using a 7x50 pair of binoculars...I dont think you can find less power for your scope
Did i confuse you?..I feel confused myself...

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back