• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

INJURY or DISEASE (1 Viewer)

JimMorris

Does anyone know what is wrong with this Robin. I have not seen this before.
Is it an injury or a disease of some kind. The other side of it's face is normal.

Last edited:
Nope, I think it's an injury from fighting. Robins are fighting ferociously at the moment, as they're extremely territorial during the early breeding season. Injuries and even deaths are not that uncommon. Fighting birds often go for the eyes, which seems to have happened here.

Hi Jim,

If this was taken in your garden then it looks like you may have had a serious act of violence going on right there in your back yard.

I have never seen an injured robin in a photo before!! but have read that they can be a very aggressive bird and will even kill.

If the robin dies will it be robinslaughter ot murder?

Either way I don't think it will survive and it does look to be in a very sorry state.

Dean

Cheadle Birder

Dean Powell said:
Hi Jim,

If this was taken in your garden then it looks like you may have had a serious act of violence going on right there in your back yard.

I have never seen an injured robin in a photo before!! but have read that they can be a very aggressive bird and will even kill.

If the robin dies will it be robinslaughter ot murder?

Either way I don't think it will survive and it does look to be in a very sorry state.

Dean

Cheadle Birder

If it dies within 1 year and 1 day then it's Murder.

Eeeeewwwww!!!

That's one nasty looking injury! Does the bird still get around alright? Is this a fight or a disease? Don't mean to hijack the thread, but now I'm curious.

Last edited:
JMomOhio said:
That's one nasty looking injury! Does the bird still get around alright? Is this a fight or a disease? Don't mean to hijack the thread, but now I'm curious.

Don't worry about it JMomOhio. The Robin was about all morning and was hopping around OK and feeding for quit a long time on the bird table. I had a good look at it through the scope and it's face seems to have dried up a bit so that is good news. I'll keep you informed as to its progress.

JimMorris said:
Don't worry about it JMomOhio. The Robin was about all morning and was hopping around OK and feeding for quit a long time on the bird table. I had a good look at it through the scope and it's face seems to have dried up a bit so that is good news. I'll keep you informed as to its progress.

Glad to hear it's doing alright! Did you check out my pic? I think it's a female house finch. No clue what's wrong with its' eyes! It gets around alright tho!

JMomOhio said:
Glad to hear it's doing alright! Did you check out my pic? I think it's a female house finch. No clue what's wrong with its' eyes! It gets around alright tho!

Your Finch looks in a sorry state, I have no idea what's wrong. Lets hope it keeps going like my Robin, which was still feeding ok today and had about 5 mins washing in the bird pool. It's injury seems to be drying up a bit.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back