• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

20-60x v 25-50x (1 Viewer)

mark f

I had someone say they had looked through both eye pieces and there wasnt really much difference in the F.O.V . I thought i could get the new one and use it for digiscoping aswell as just a spotting zoom. ........

I had someone say they had looked through both eye pieces and there wasnt really much difference in the F.O.V . I thought i could get the new one and use it for digiscoping aswell as just a spotting zoom. ........

I bought a 25-50 zoom to put on my Swaro and planned on selling off my 20-60 zoom--compared the zooms and the 25-50 definitely had a wider FOV. I took back the 25-50 zoom because I could never get my eye centered over the eyepiece without getting kidney beaning blackouts no matter how I adjusted the eye relief on the eyepiece! Stuck with the 20-60 zoom, never have had any issues with blackouts with it.

I have also looked through both zooms-on two occasions in the case of the new one. I already owned the 20-60x and am still very pleased with it.

When it was first announced I expected to 'have to' rush out and buy the new one when it became available, but in reality that hasn't been the case.

Both are very good eyepieces, and if I was starting out again I might be tempted to get just the new one, but I too am a little worried about the kidney bean effect that others have found with it. I also noticed this, but wondered if I would become accustomed to it in use. I have noticed it too with the 20-60x on the 65mm bodies (mine is an 80mm), so perhaps it is more to do with exit pupil size, or maybe a combination of exit pupil size and shorter eye relief, that causes this effect.

I should mention that when I first bought the 'old' zoom, I hardly ever used it due to the 'zoom effect' that many people don't like (relatively narrow FOV at 20x), but I have gradually used it more and more so that now it is on my scope over 90% of the time, and my 30x wide is hardly ever used at all. I still like wide angles, but find the zoom indispensible for general birding. What's more, I use it most often at powers between 30x and 60x where the fov is not much different to a dedicated wide angle eyepiece. At 55-60x it is in fact a true wide-field ep; a fact which is seemingly overlooked by many people.

To summarize, here are a few thoughts about both eyepieces, after my somewhat limited experiences with the new zoom:

• There seemed, at least to my eyes, to be a big difference (more noticeable than I expected) between the 50x and 60x max powers of the new and old zooms. If the new zoom is your only EP, then you aren't getting anywhere near the maximum resolving power of the scope body with it. However, 50x will most probably be enough for most users unless you plan to do a lot of high mag viewing
  • 20x is useful to have, especially if you are ever likely to use your scope for digiscoping/video use. Even less power would occasionally be nice for really close subjects.
  • The fov at the respective min/max limit for each E/P is very similar, it's just that the new zoom at 25x 'feels' wider, but in reality you can't see that much more in your fov than the old zoom at 20x.

Cheers,

Steve

Last edited:
thanks for those interesting and thorough reviews. I guess it is always best to try for yourself first.

But if someone was to buy the 20-60x, then the money saved would be good chunk off a second ep. Maybe one better for digiscoping...

regards. Mark.

I have been tempted by this 25-50, more FOV would be nice. However I think my ats65HD with 20-60x zoom offer a very relaxed view, no kidney beaning or problems with how to position the eye. Also I find the view to be spectacular, sharp and free from distortions. More over I think that the scope and EP got the best ergonomics of all I have tried. I really fancy heliocentric focus, the rugged body and the overall handling of the combination. I guess sometime you should just stick with what you like.

I can only echo what some folk have already said regards these two lenses.
Tho you get a wider field of view with new lens...tis not wide enough to make 'that' much difference...in my opinion. With the 20-60 zoom i find it satisfies all of my 'needs'...i generally have the lens on 20 most of the time and is great, when needed, to 'bang it up' to 60x...! Friends of mine have got very good results from digi-scoping with the 20-60.....

ps...in a way i was quite relieved that the new lens wasn't 'that' impressive...it saved me a lot of dough...which i would have been prepared to spend had it had the 'must have' factor.....

thanks for those interesting and thorough reviews. I guess it is always best to try for yourself first.

But if someone was to buy the 20-60x, then the money saved would be good chunk off a second ep. Maybe one better for digiscoping...

regards. Mark.

I only ever use the zoom for digiscoping. I'm not sure any other eyepiece is better...

Steve

I only ever use the zoom for digiscoping. I'm not sure any other eyepiece is better...

Steve
I use 20x60 with my old AT80HD for digiscoping. However a recent purchase of a 30x eyepiece is making me consider it for digiscoping because of the fact you get no vignetting with my Fuji 31d even at its widest ie not zoomed at all. Thus easier to place onto lens and shoot quickly

What do others think;)

Having tested out the new 25x50 zoom I could not justify buying this as although there is in my opinion a slight increase in fov the differences between this and the 20x60 were very small indeed. I just could not see the point in having these two zooms and the extra 10x will come in handy on a difficult id. So I'm glad i tested before I purchased as it would have been a big mistake on my behalf. I can sleep at night now knowing that I made the right choice as regards eyepiece's. Ger.

I don´t have to go and buy an 80HD with a 25-50x...

Except I did. Long story involving a good deal on a 2nd-hand ATS80HD w/20-60, and another good deal from a Dublin store on a 25-50x. Contrary to others´findings above, I´m astounded. I´ve had a week to compare three eyepieces - 20-60 zoom, 30xw, and 25-50 zoom. I´ll try to be brief, and this is just the way I see it - not trying to dispute anyone else´s views.
The 25-50 gives me about 45% more FOV throughout most of the range. At 25x, it has the same FOV as the 30xw. Really. This is crucial, because this mag can be "default", obviating the need for a fixed ep. No more changing ep´s in rain or wind. Eyeball-positioning is slightly more critical than with the 30xw, but sorted within minutes. For me, the Swaro 25-50 zoom is a winner.

Except I did. Long story involving a good deal on a 2nd-hand ATS80HD w/20-60, and another good deal from a Dublin store on a 25-50x. Contrary to others´findings above, I´m astounded. I´ve had a week to compare three eyepieces - 20-60 zoom, 30xw, and 25-50 zoom. I´ll try to be brief, and this is just the way I see it - not trying to dispute anyone else´s views.
The 25-50 gives me about 45% more FOV throughout most of the range. At 25x, it has the same FOV as the 30xw. Really. This is crucial, because this mag can be "default", obviating the need for a fixed ep. No more changing ep´s in rain or wind. Eyeball-positioning is slightly more critical than with the 30xw, but sorted within minutes. For me, the Swaro 25-50 zoom is a winner.

Ok you win I have to get one now.;)

I gave this EP another look at the Birdfair this year & I was very impressed. This time I had no problems with kidney beaning or blackout. I've compared it directly with the 20-60x zoom EP & can say it is a brighter image, at all mags, with a larger FOV & is a real pleasure to use.

Neil.

Interesting discussion... I am with others. I am glad there is not that much of a difference between the two as it saves me money.... But, I do like the ability to zoom in at 20 and not 25 (not that it would really make that much of a difference) but at times I do digiscope at 20 and that extra little bit of range might make a difference. So....I never digiscope above 35 or so, ....so the higher range wouldn't effect digiscoping although as many shorebirds are a long ways off, doesn't it make more sense to have more range and not FOV? Just my thoughts, jim

Ok you win I have to get one now.;)

No, you don´t have to.... between encouraging you to buy more, and selling kit to fund my own purchase, I´m afraid the WAGOBs will take out a contract on me!!!

(Explanatory note: "Wives And Girlfriends Of Birders")

No, you don´t have to.... between encouraging you to buy more, and selling kit to fund my own purchase, I´m afraid the WAGOBs will take out a contract on me!!!

(Explanatory note: "Wives And Girlfriends Of Birders")

If you replace the words "will take" with "have taken" then you would be right.:-O

Hi all,

Just an update on the 25-50x vs 20-60x eyepieces. I have been using the 25-50x EP for about 9 months now & am very happy with it. While out birding yesterday evening at Rutland Water with poor light I compared the two EP's & was very surprised with the difference. I had the 25-50x on an ATS65HD scope & the 20-60x on an ATS80HD & the difference was big, in fact the difference between being able to id birds that were fairly distant & not being able to id the birds (not all of course).
After a short while I swapped the EP's over & as you can imagine the difference was even bigger. Having the 20-60x on the 65mm scope the view in the poor light was not good, compared to the 25-50x.
So to conclude I am even more impressed with this EP & couldn't go birding without it. If any of you are still pondering whether to buy this EP my advise would be save up & get it you won't be dissappointed.

Cheers,

Agreed. I've had the 25-50 for some time now, and recently had occasion to compare it with a 20-60, both on side-by-side ATS80HD scopes. I found the 20-60 very uncomfortable to use at lower powers, by comparison, because of the "keyhole" effect. I thought I had missed the "high" of 60x, but really there's not much difference between 50x and 60x, and the wider FOV throughout the range of the 25-50x makes a huge difference, making a 30x fixed ep unnecessary (for me, anyway). To cover the "high mag" base, I bought a machine-tooled copy of the old Swaro astro ep adapter (from Val'Easy in France), and a 6.7mm astro eyepiece. I forget what power this gives, about 68x I think, and although it works fine, I haven't had occasion to actually use it in the field yet.

20x60 vs 25x50

Hello all:
Bought the Swaro 65 HD and 25x50 eyepiece as a retirement gift to myself.
Found it (the 25x50) works very well in cloudy, dull conditions and low fading light.
Never had blackout problems that others have talked about.
Just goes to show what people on the forum have been preaching, you have to try it (new optic) out for yourself.
Love my little scope, easy to cart around, superb view.
Try the 25x50 in lower light conditions and you will see the difference.
Thanks
Art

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back