• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

2012 UK Orchid season updates (1 Viewer)

Helliborine

As a number of you know i have been doing a full orchid survey of the Peak District for the last three years. Whilst exploring new territory tonight i came across this bizzare flooking flower. I want to say that its Epipactis Purpurata Achlorophyllous, but there have never been any Violet Helleborines recorded in North Staffordshire, and the Chlorophyl lacking variety have never been recorded anywhere near this far north???
Byron.

I found one like this in North Warks last year and it was identified as a Broad-leaved Helliborine lacking the pigment Chorophyl known as Epipactis helliboirine- hypochromatic form they don't usually flower.

Regards, John

Luckily one of the three chlorophyl lacking Broad Leaved Helleborines at the Peak District site is now flowering - and looks beautiful. The smaller one has vanished and the larger is still in tight bud and so may not flower.

Good year for Yellow Birds Nest in the peak. At the Wye valley site i discovered last year there were 38 in flower a couple of days ago. Not so great however for Dark Red Helleborine. At the main site only 17 were in flower (though they have colonised a new area) and at the second site only 1 was in flower, two which were budding a couple of weeks ago have been snapped off.

20 Bog orchids in view from the concrete plinth plinth this morning and as many again a little further down the bank.

Alan

20 Bog orchids in view from the concrete plinth plinth this morning and as many again a little further down the bank.

Alan

Hi Alan

Is this the New Forest you're talking about?

Mike.

PS. Nice to see you again the other day! Did you get my leptochila email?

Hi Alan

Is this the New Forest you're talking about?

Mike.

PS. Nice to see you again the other day! Did you get my leptochila email?
Yes, yes and yes Mike.

New Forest, received email (sorry I should have replied) and nice to see you again, hopefully I'll recognise you next time.

Alan

One for ID. Figured the orchid thread is the best place to get that done. Found in North Staffs in broad-leaf woodland. Only one plant present. I can upload photos of the leaves if they are of any ID use.

Thanks in advance.

Adam

Attachments

• IMG_8962 [800x600].jpg
    IMG_8962 [800x600].jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG_8954 [800x600].jpg
    IMG_8954 [800x600].jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 74
Hi Adam

This looks to be a Broad-leaved helleborine with a variant lip shape, mirroring Narrow-lipped helleborine.

The plant is clearly cross-pollinated, as indicated by fully removed pollinia lying on the flower on the close-up, and clear viscidia visible on some flowers. The bases to the ovaries are also quite purplish, further indicating Broad-leaved.

The stem is greenish rather than purple, and although the flowers are very widely open, recalling Violet helleborine, the colour of the flowers and stem doesn't look right for that species.

I'd be most interested in seeing this plant in the flesh, as I have never seen a BLH with a lip like this (except perhaps in Buckinghamshire...). Perhaps you'd be willing to pm me details of the location, or even meet me there if you prefer?

Regards

Sean

Hi all

While on the subject of unusual Epipactis in Staffordshire, I went to my local Violet helleborine site today, and in among getting biten like fury by mozzies (awful blooming place), counted 11 in a relatively brief search. This is only slightly below average for the site. All the VH's were in bud, some still bent over at the top.

In addition there was again a single Broad-leaved helleborine, which had a "Young's helleborine" look about it. Same plant as last year.

In addition to the paleness of the flowers, which perhaps halfway towards viridiflora rather than youngiana, I noticed that the plant was self-pollinated, also like youngiana.

To my knowledge, the soil here is not contaminated by an previous industrial use of the site. The presence of Violet hell here would indicate the woodland is quite old, I suspect.

As such, the production of this plant at this site would seem something of an oddity.

Has anyone any coments?

All the best

Sean

Attachments

• epipactis-h-staffs-3aug2012.jpg
    epipactis-h-staffs-3aug2012.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 64
Hi all

While on the subject of unusual Epipactis in Staffordshire, I went to my local Violet helleborine site today, and in among getting biten like fury by mozzies (awful blooming place), counted 11 in a relatively brief search. This is only slightly below average for the site. All the VH's were in bud, some still bent over at the top.

In addition there was again a single Broad-leaved helleborine, which had a "Young's helleborine" look about it. Same plant as last year.

In addition to the paleness of the flowers, which perhaps halfway towards viridiflora rather than youngiana, I noticed that the plant was self-pollinated, also like youngiana.

To my knowledge, the soil here is not contaminated by an previous industrial use of the site. The presence of Violet hell here would indicate the woodland is quite old, I suspect.

As such, the production of this plant at this site would seem something of an oddity.

Has anyone any coments?

All the best

Sean

Very weird plant and just the one! Has John Richards had a look at it? Aware he's got a penchant for youngiana.
Have you got any photos of the whole plant?

Mike.

Hi all

Has anyone any coments?

All the best

Sean

I'm certainly in agreement with Mike on this one "very weird" and yes, photo of the whole plant would be nice to see. I note that the ovary appears hairless, another youngiana feature!

I've also looked at a few Broad-leaved in Staffs this year and thought how different they were to what I'm used to seeing on the Cotswolds, the ones I looked at were decidedly cross-pollinated but it was the pointed lip shape that seemed so odd. For those of you with local knowledge, is this lip shape common in Staffordshire?

Alan

Attachments

• IMG_4033a_1.jpg
    IMG_4033a_1.jpg
    299 KB · Views: 60
I'm certainly in agreement with Mike on this one "very weird" and yes, photo of the whole plant would be nice to see. I note that the ovary appears hairless, another youngiana feature!

I've also looked at a few Broad-leaved in Staffs this year and thought how different they were to what I'm used to seeing on the Cotswolds, the ones I looked at were decidedly cross-pollinated but it was the pointed lip shape that seemed so odd. For those of you with local knowledge, is this lip shape common in Staffordshire?

Alan

Hi Alan

Not at all! Another striking plant!

Perhaps you could email me details of the location so I can check that one out as well, it may be nearer than Adam's - or it may even be the same one.

Sean

Hi Alan

Not at all! Another striking plant!

Perhaps you could email me details of the location so I can check that one out as well, it may be nearer than Adam's - or it may even be the same one.

Sean

I think it's part of the same population as the achlorophyllous plants Sean, just up the path on the left before the steps. Very leptochila-like lip shape and one that caught my attention like Alan.

Mike.

Attachments

• IMG_6747.JPG
    IMG_6747.JPG
    452.5 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_6749.JPG
    IMG_6749.JPG
    342.5 KB · Views: 61
I think it's part of the same population as the achlorophyllous plants Sean, just up the path on the left before the steps. Very leptochila-like lip shape and one that caught my attention like Alan.

Mike.

Spot on Mike that's the exact location, the whole colony looked somewhat odd and I'm sure you will have noticed the lip on the achlorophyllous one is also pointed. It was of course Byron who brought these plants to our attention and it is easy to see why he was questioning the identification.

Alan

Spot on Mike that's the exact location, the whole colony looked somewhat odd and I'm sure you will have noticed the lip on the achlorophyllous one is also pointed. It was of course Byron who brought these plants to our attention and it is easy to see why he was questioning the identification.

Alan

Absolutely. I find that many of my local helleborine have pointed lips aswell...maybe a midlands thing?

I'm going back to the achlorophyllous plants in a couple of days for more pics so will post here.

Mike.

Thanks for the information, both. When I visited the site, all plants were in bud, hence my question.

This site is in a valley which has a history of coal extraction, brickmaking and leadmining. This particular site is a former reservoir, so it is questionable whether the unusual nature of the plants is related in any way.

Sean

Narrow-lipped Helleborine, Bristol

A photo of one plant from the small colony of Narrow-lipped Helleborine on the Ashton Court estate, our only site around Bristol. This was taken a couple of weeks ago, but there were other plants there still in bud, so these may be at peak flowering now, assuming slugs haven't got there first.

I would normally be more circumspect about the location, but Bristol City Council, who own the site, have publicised it, and a quick internet search will reveal more detail than I've given above anyway. Needless to say, if you go to see them, employ the usual care.

Rich M, no doubt you've seen these, as they're only about 15 minutes from your house?

Attachments

• Narrow-lipped Helleborine Ashton Court 20120715.jpg
    Narrow-lipped Helleborine Ashton Court 20120715.jpg
    162.8 KB · Views: 97
A photo of one plant from the small colony of Narrow-lipped Helleborine on the Ashton Court estate, our only site around Bristol. This was taken a couple of weeks ago, but there were other plants there still in bud, so these may be at peak flowering now, assuming slugs haven't got there first.

I would normally be more circumspect about the location, but Bristol City Council, who own the site, have publicised it, and a quick internet search will reveal more detail than I've given above anyway. Needless to say, if you go to see them, employ the usual care.

Rich M, no doubt you've seen these, as they're only about 15 minutes from your house?

No I haven't Steve, looked plenty of times but never found them. I've PM'd you for directions.

Rich M

Rich M

Well as the Broad Leaved Helleborine site i discovered a few weeks ago has roused quite a bit of interest, and because it is only half a mile from home, i thought i would provide everyone with a quick update.

Both Achlorophyllus plants are now in flower. The big one has only been in flower a week but is already drooping and covered in mud (from being right next to the path). The Medium sized plant has been damaged by yesterdays storm and is now drooping considerably (two nearbly BLH have been crushed). All the normal BLH, including those with unusual elongated lip shapes are now in full bloom and some are starting to go over.

I have provided a couple of macro pics taken today below. Anyone still wishing to visit the site (in the Staffordshire Moorlands) just send me a quick PM with your personal e-mail and i will provide you with site details.

Byron.

Attachments

• Epipactis Helleborine Achlorophyllus.jpg
    Epipactis Helleborine Achlorophyllus.jpg
    104.9 KB · Views: 105
  • Epipactis Helleborine.jpg
    Epipactis Helleborine.jpg
    113.9 KB · Views: 64

Hi Steve

Do you have any more pictures of the flowers? Your shot looks more like Green-flowered than Narrow-lipped, but it is difficult to tell because of the angle and distance.

Regards

Sean

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back