• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

2012 UK Orchid season updates (1 Viewer)

Kent Trip

Had a great time in Kent 26/5/2012 found Fly,Lady,Monkey,Greater Butterfly
and White Helleborine,high light was this male wasp trying to mate with Fly Orchid

Attachments

• AQ5C2890.jpg
    AQ5C2890.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 141
Fantastic Orchid Day

Had a great day out yesterday 26-05-2012

Started off at North Buckinghamshire for the Millitary Orchids roughly 300 to 500 plants on this site. 2 very impressive plants at this site.
Fly Orchids virtually everywhere and some fantastic specimens amongst them.
13 Birdsnest Orchids in a very small area.

We then moved onto Hartslock for the Monkey Orchids. I was a little dissapointed with these compared to previous years.

After a breif disscussion we decided to go too Warwickshire for Sword-leaved Helleborines.
This was definateley the plant of the day for me.
28 Plants in total
21 in flower and another 5 non flowering spikes plus 2 not quite in flower

Milliatary-Orchid.jpgMilliatary-Orchid-(5).jpgSword-leaved-helle-(5).jpgSword-leaved-helle.jpg

Last edited:
Ranscombe Park, Rochester, Kent today: 1 Lady Orchid plus 7 Man orchid (snow white and the seven dwarves?), 1 Fly Orchid, c100 White Helleborines. The helleborines mostly had some way to go; everything else was well out. One of the Man was up to my knee - and I'm not a short fella.

James

Found a colony of Man Orchids today near Dartford estimated at 150+ plants. Pleasing to find these less than 20 minute walk from my front door!
217 Man Orchids south of Eynsford - all in good flower

Regards

James

Sandscale had 65 Coralroots out at the weekend, and the Northumberland site also had good numbers, which had just come into flower. they won't last long in this weather though!

In Devon, on Exmoor, eight Lesser Twayblades, with only one in flower. Please do not ask me for this site, as it is visrtually impossible to give directions to the plants' exact location!

Sean

James - can you email me your Man gen please, as in the area tomorrow. Cheers.

Sandscale had 65 Coralroots out at the weekend, and the Northumberland site also had good numbers, which had just come into flower. they won't last long in this weather though!

In Devon, on Exmoor, eight Lesser Twayblades, with only one in flower. Please do not ask me for this site, as it is visrtually impossible to give directions to the plants' exact location!

Sean

James - can you email me your Man gen please, as in the area tomorrow. Cheers.

Hi Sean - PM sent. I am visiting the site with Paul on Weds evening if you are about

Hi Sean,

When do you think the remaining seven Twayblades will be flowering? Just like to get an idea for the time for a trip to Exmoor.

Dave.

Here are a few pics from last weekend as promised!

1. 2. Lady Orchid
3. Monkey Orchid
4. Green hairstreak on Monkey x Lady hybrid
5. Monkey x Lady Orchid

Attachments

• lady.jpg
    lady.jpg
    176.1 KB · Views: 59
  • lady 2.jpg
    lady 2.jpg
    151.4 KB · Views: 48
  • monkey.jpg
    monkey.jpg
    169.1 KB · Views: 59
  • hairstreak.jpg
    hairstreak.jpg
    205.8 KB · Views: 59
  • hybrid.jpg
    hybrid.jpg
    194.2 KB · Views: 48
And a few more

1 and 2. Hybrids
3. Common Fragrant Orchid
4. Early Spider Orchid

Attachments

• hybr.jpg
    hybr.jpg
    238.1 KB · Views: 40
  • hyb2.jpg
    hyb2.jpg
    250.1 KB · Views: 37
  • fragrant.jpg
    fragrant.jpg
    145.4 KB · Views: 70
  • early spider.jpg
    early spider.jpg
    134.9 KB · Views: 45
Last edited:
Kent Lady variations

You could laugh when you read the lip descriptions of the Lady orchids, here's a small selection from Kent:-

Alan

Attachments

• armless Lady.jpg
    armless Lady.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 46
  • Ballerina on tiptoe.jpg
    Ballerina on tiptoe.jpg
    103.4 KB · Views: 44
  • Lady in trousers.jpg
    Lady in trousers.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 48
  • Saluting pseudomilitaris Lady.jpg
    Saluting pseudomilitaris Lady.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 52
More from Kent

I think most forum members will appreciate by now that I'm always on the lookout for something a bit unusual, a few oddities from my Kent trip.

Alan

Attachments

• Fly.jpg
    Fly.jpg
    171.9 KB · Views: 58
  • Late Spider with pollinium hanging loose.jpg
    Late Spider with pollinium hanging loose.jpg
    232.3 KB · Views: 59
  • Red Fly.jpg
    Red Fly.jpg
    117.6 KB · Views: 49
  • White Helleborine, two lips.jpg
    White Helleborine, two lips.jpg
    144.3 KB · Views: 65
Down in Kent, the Lady's at Yockletts are looking pretty good-a few Fly's also, but the Early Purples pretty much over. One or two Common Spotted and White Helleborines just starting to come up.
Very few Monkeys at Park Gate-only found four and just starting to open. The Early Purples are much better.

I was at Park Gate on 24th and the Monkeys were starting to look better - over a dozen flowering specimens, and more coming through. There was a particularly fine one some distance away from the usual flowering area. Also some Early Purples still in reasonable condition, and a couple of nice fresh Green-winged.

Common Twayblades much in evidence here and at Yockletts, and some decent Ladies at Yockletts - though nowhere near the numbers I recall that site once hosting, and no sign of the alba I used to regularly see there.

Jon

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back