• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Viewing 7D raw thumbnails in CS4 (1 Viewer)

Well it works for me BUT again it could be that i have already got the codecs .
fingers crossed it works for Roy and anyone else who has this problem .
Rob.
Strange because I have the very latest Canon Raw Codec (v1.6).
Forget Faststone, are you saying you can go into CS4 do a file open and see a thumbnail of the actual 7D raw image?

Last edited:
Hi Roy, I use CS3 so I don't know if this will work in 4. When I open file I get a search box that gives me the choice (in the bottom left corner) of using adobe dialog or OS dialog I can see more RAW files using adobe, if it is the same in 4 it might help

Gwynn
Cant see it at the moment in CS4 Gwynn but I have come across this preference dialogue before in CS2 - I will keep looking I CS4.

Dont know were to go now Roy , i can only think some other non canon codecs loded on my computer are making it all work for me .
Rob.

Dont know were to go now Roy , i can only think some other non canon codecs loded on my computer are making it all work for me .
Rob.
Rob, I have no problem in viewing 7D raw thumbanails with DPP, Zoombrowser, Faststone ect but I want to be able to view them in CS4 without going into Bridge - can you confirm that you can do this?

Rob, I have no problem in viewing 7D raw thumbanails with DPP, Zoombrowser, Faststone ect but I want to be able to view them in CS4 without going into Bridge - can you confirm that you can do this?

i carnt i dont use cs4 i thought you ment you carnt view the Raw thumnails from the 7d in the folder you have them in .
Rob.

Just been looking on the Adobe help page and one comment form a moderator is "The Open Files Dialog is a standard windows dialog and displays the files the same as explorer, if one can't display something then the other one won't be able to either."

Gwynn

Just been looking on the Adobe help page and one comment form a moderator is "The Open Files Dialog is a standard windows dialog and displays the files the same as explorer, if one can't display something then the other one won't be able to either."

Gwynn
Yes, I think that it is the Windows XP RAW Image Viewer and Thumbnailer not supporting 7D raws.

I don't have CS4 but at least I understand what it is you mean now Roy. Yes it is strange though. Are you just wondering why it doesn't work or is it a real problem for your workflow. All I'll suggest then is maybe try a different approach like view stuff in Faststone and then use the 'Edit in external program command' or similarly in Explorer I have the all CR2 files set to automatically open into my Elements 5.0 when I double click on the icon.

That's all I can offer which is probably no help at all, but then Birdforum's like that sometimes isn't it? 8-P LOL!

OK
I DOWNLODED cs4 and it will not open 7d raw files but I can see them in bridge .
im now downloding the updates :) to see if that works.

I don't have CS4 but at least I understand what it is you mean now Roy. Yes it is strange though. Are you just wondering why it doesn't work or is it a real problem for your workflow. All I'll suggest then is maybe try a different approach like view stuff in Faststone and then use the 'Edit in external program command' or similarly in Explorer I have the all CR2 files set to automatically open into my Elements 5.0 when I double click on the icon.

That's all I can offer which is probably no help at all, but then Birdforum's like that sometimes isn't it? 8-P LOL!
Its no big problem Adam as I convert most of my Raw's in DPP before sending them to CS4 as a 16 bit tiff. The only time I use ACR to convert my Raw's is when I have a lot of partially blown highlights to recover - I find ACR is a lot better than DPP at this (although I generally prefer the DPP conversions to ACR).
I am fairly sure that it is the Microsoft XP raw viewer that is the problem as it does not support 7D raws.

OK
I DOWNLODED cs4 and it will not open 7d raw files but I can see them in bridge .
im now downloding the updates :) to see if that works.
Rob, I can open 7D raws in CS4 no problem - but I want to see a thumbnail of the raw I am opening (without going into Bridge).

Rob, I can open 7D raws in CS4 no problem - but I want to see a thumbnail of the raw I am opening (without going into Bridge).

lol WELL This goes back to what i was saying in the first place then :)

we seem to be on diffrent tracks .
So are you saying that when you have your 7d raw files in a folder say on your desktop you carnt see the thumbnails ? and this is what your trying to do ?
Rob.

lol WELL This goes back to what i was saying in the first place then :)

we seem to be on diffrent tracks .
So are you saying that when you have your 7d raw files in a folder say on your desktop you carnt see the thumbnails ? and this is what your trying to do ?
Rob.
Exactly and I reckon it is down to the Microsoft raw viewer not supporting7D raw's - where as it does support 40D raw's - what threw me was when you said you could see them!
I did not say in any of my post that I could not open 7D raws but it is nice to see what you are opening.

I guess for the few times I use ACR for my raw's I will just have to use Bridge if I want to see what I am opening.

Last edited:
I guess for the few times I use ACR for my raw's I will just have to use Bridge if I want to see what I am opening.

Or the way I suggested it with Faststone perhaps? Really is quick an' easy so long as CS4 is added to your program list.

Exactly and I reckon it is down to the Microsoft raw viewer not supporting7D raw's - where as it does support 40D raw's - what threw me was when you said you could see them!
I did not say in any of my post that I could not open 7D raws but it is nice to see what you are opening.

Right
well if i go to any folder that has my 7d raw files i can indeed see the thumnail of the raw file as well as the jpeg along side it and if iv made a tiff i can see that too .
Rob.
eddit.
it can only be as i said befor that i have codecs of some kind on my computer that for what ever reason lets me see them

Last edited:
I am now getting what I was after by downloading Fast Picture Viewer as suggested by Gwynn in post #28 - this allows you to see 7D raw thumbnails in any windows folder. Thanks for all your feedback everyone :t:

Rob, are you using a 64bit OS?

If you are that is your problem, Canon nor Microsoft have released teh codecs to view the latest RAW files on 64bit OS. There is no settings you can do to resolve this, only thing that you can do is puchase a programme (forget name of) from a US company that has created the software to allow you to view them thumbnails. If you are running a 32bit OS then i have no idea :p

EDIT: DOH!!! Missed post 28 :)

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back