• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Are the Papilio's only for close up work (1 Viewer)

I got the 8.5x model for close-up when they came out, primarily for ants. Great for that. Regular distance viewing? Poor image quality i think.

I got the 8.5x model for close-up when they came out, primarily for ants. Great for that. Regular distance viewing? Poor image quality i think.

I could not disagree more with that last statement. It's clear that it can't compete with the alpha crowd. But it does very well indeed for its price, and way beyond at that. But maybe, I just have a particularly fine one. More here: http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=145183, check post #17.

Last edited:
I'd agree with that.

Poor quality view is going to far but the view isn't great compared to other reverse porros I've used I think mainly due to a narrower FOV than I'd like. But usable in a pinch though if you were expecting butterflys and see an interesting bird.

Interesting though I've seen Papillo's twice on BBC shows: around the necks of a leps watcher and a dragonfly watcher. For that they excel.

If I need an 8x reverse porro I'll get some other model. It was not spectacular. But really, none of them are. You are not getting a super view in the compact category at this price, it is an art to make the 8x20s and 8sx25s.

My current pocket bino is the Columbia 8x25 that sold out. Single hinge.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back